Concurrent studies

If you are a student who is enrolled in a BC secondary school, has a superior academic record, and has the support of your school principal and your parent/guardian, you may apply to the University of British Columbia via Access Studies to pursue Concurrent Studies while you are still in high school.

Students in this category may take up to 6 credits per academic term, up to a maximum of 12 credits. Continuation as an Access Studies student is contingent upon maintaining a passing grade on all courses attempted.

Is this the right option for me?

To be considered for concurrent enrolment at UBC via Access Studies, you must:

  • Have a superior academic record.
  • Be enrolled in a BC secondary school in a program that meets regular UBC entry requirements.
  • Have the written recommendation of the principal of your high school.
  • Have the written consent of your parent or legal guardian.


All students who are accepted into Concurrent Studies will be assessed an application fee and will be required to pay an acceptance deposit upon successful admission.

Tuition fees for UBC students are assessed on a per-credit basis and depend on the level of the course and the faculty in which it is offered.

Most undergraduate courses are 3 credits (one term) or 6 credits (two terms) in value, although there are exceptions. The SSC course schedule will detailed the credit value of a course for Summer 2024 courses, and the Workday course schedule will detail the credit value of a course for Winter 2024/25 courses. Students studying on campus at UBC’s Okanagan campus are assessed student fees in addition to their tuition. Some of these fees have opt-out provisions, highlighted on the site.

Most student fees are assessed on a per-credit basis, so depending on how many credits you are taking, the total amount of student fees owing will fluctuate.

Visit the Academic Calendar for the most up-to-date fees and policies.

Expect to pay about $100–$150 per course for course materials. Course materials are available through the UBC Bookstore.


Course start date Application deadline
May (Summer Session Term 1 or 2) March 15
September (Winter Session Term 1) July 15
January (Winter Session Term 2) November 15

If you wish to take courses at UBC concurrent with your enrolment at a BC secondary school, apply to the Access Studies program by following the steps outlined below.

Step one:

Ensure that you meet the English language requirement.

Step two:

Visit the Course Schedule to view the courses offered and choose the courses that you are interested in taking.

Step three:

Apply through Education Planner BC:

  • Create an Education Planner BC account online
  • Fill in your personal information and academic history
  • Click “Start Applying” and select University of British Columbia as the institution
  • Select the appropriate Admission Category based on your academic history
  • Select “Access Student” under First Program Choice
  • When asked, make sure to include the list of course(s) you’re interested in taking or the specific program under which you would like to take courses

Step four:

UBC Admissions will email you with a confirmation of your application and next steps.

Step five:

Submit all of the required documents to These will be sent by Access Studies to your chosen faculty for evaluation.

Step six:

Once you have been approved by the faculty for enrolment at UBC’s Okanagan campus, you will receive confirmation of this along with registration instructions.

Step seven:

Register for classes at UBC’s Okanagan campus.

What else do I need to know?

  • Enrolment for Access Studies Students is on a part-time basis in a limited selection of courses and programs.
  • Being admitted to UBC as an Access Studies student does not guarantee entrance to your requested courses or subsequent admission to a degree program at UBC.
  • You may be able to transfer your courses to a future UBC degree program, at the discretion of the faculty you apply to.
  • To register you’ll need to meet course prerequisites through previous study, relevant experience, or instructor permission.