Working in Canada


As a temporary measure, some international students eligible to work off-campus can work more than 20 hours a week starting from November 15, 2022, until whichever comes first:

  • The study permit you applied for on or before October 7, 2022, expires
  • The study permit you held on October 7, 2022, expires, if you did not have a study permit application in progress on October 7, 2022
  • December 31, 2023.

Check the FAQ for details.

Immigration and Health Insurance FAQs

If you’re an international student, find out more about the impact of COVID-19 on immigration, health insurance, and more.

students, working, computer, classroom

Overview of permits required to work in Canada

Work experience can help you prepare for your career, gain exposure to the Canadian workplace, form a closer connection to the local community, and provide you with extra money.

As an international student, there are several types of work you can do in Canada. Some of them will require applying for a specific work permit. Use the information below to determine what type of work regulations you need to follow.

On-campus work

You do not need a work permit in order to work on campus while attending UBC, as your study permit gives you permission to accept on-campus employment as long as you’re registered in full-time studies. There are however, certain conditions you must observe to work on-campus.

Off-campus work (up to 20 hours per week during regular study periods)

You do not need a work permit in order to work off-campus while attending UBC, as your study permit gives you permission to accept off-campus employment as long as you’re registered in full-time studies. There are, however, certain conditions you must observe to work off-campus.

Co-op or internship (if the work is integral to your academic program)

Co-op work permit required.

Volunteer work (unpaid)

Some volunteer positions may be considered work by IRCC – for example, volunteering for a job that is normally performed by paid employees (photocopying, customer service, etc.) is considered work regardless of whether you are paid or not. Review the meaning of work according to the IRCC definition to decide. If your volunteer position is considered work, you need to follow the relevant work regulations (e.g. on- or off-campus work conditions).

Work after you graduate

Post-graduation work permit

Work for spouse or common-law partner

Spouse/partner work permit

If your documents get lost or stolen

If your documents such as study or work permits are lost or stolen, you must request a replacement from IRCC. Follow instructions on the IRCC website, submit your application for replacement and a $30 processing fee, and expect your documents to arrive by mail in approximately two weeks. You may continue studying and/or working while your documents are being replaced. However, you should not leave Canada until you receive your replacement study or work permit.

If your passport has also been lost or stolen, you must replace it as well. If you had a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in the lost or stolen passport, make sure you apply for a new TRV.

The information on this page may change

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.