Access your student tax forms on the Student Services Centre (SSC) under Finances.

Tax years and academic years

Tax forms are issued for the previous tax year, which runs January to December. The academic year runs September to August, so your tax form may include amounts from two academic years.

Your tax forms for the 2018 tax year will include terms from the 2017/2018 academic years:

Term Period
2017 Winter Term 2 January to April
2018 Summer Term 1 May to June
2018 Summer Term 2 July to August
2018 Winter Term 1 September to December

Tax forms

UBC issues the following tax forms on the Student Service Centre (SSC) in mid February.


Tax credit amount for the tuition and fees paid in the last tax year.

All current students receive a T2202A for tuition and student fees for the previous tax year. You can use this in your own tax return, or transfer the amount to a family member. Get details from the Canada Revenue Agency.


If you have received a bursary, scholarship, award, Teaching Certificate, Passport to Education, or Faculty/Staff Tuition Fee Waiver as a dependant, then you will be issued a T4A. The amount on your T4A shows the total funding you received in the tax year, which may not equal the total you received for the academic year.

You will be able to find T4A forms back to 2009 on the SSC. If you need a T4A from before 2009, contact Student Services.

Note about T4 forms for students: if you were employed by UBC on a co-op work term, as a TA or RA, or any other position, you’ll receive a T4 tax form on the UBC HR’s self-service website.


If you are filing taxes in the U.S. you may be asked to produce the Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, used for qualified tuition and related expenses paid during the tax year. UBC is an eligible educational institution because of participation in the U.S. Direct Loan Program.

UBC does not issue the Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement. As a Canadian institution, UBC only provides Canadian federal (T2202A) tax receipts.

Claiming tuition and related expenses without a 1098-T

For the most up to date information on claiming tuition and related expenses without a 1098-T go to Public 970, Tax Benefits for Education.

Need additional help with your tax?

Every year, Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) provides a free, community income tax clinic (during March and April) for individuals who need assistance with filling income taxes. These tax clinics operate under a first come, first serve basis.

We really appreciate your patience and understanding during this busy time. For more information, visit the UBCSUO.