Frequently Asked Questions

Applying to graduate

When will I know when my application has been approved?

Your application to graduate will be reviewed by your faculty in October and November for November conferral and in March through May conferral (for the spring ceremony). The final approval will be noted on your graduation application in the Student Service Centre (SSC) about a week prior to the conferral.

I just looked at my graduation application and the status has changed. What does it mean?

In your graduation application, between applying and your graduation day, you will notice changes in your application. Below is a list of terms you may see on your application and what they mean:

Applied for graduation: Your application has been received. Applications will be reviewed once the graduation application closes at the end of February. This is a good time to contact your faculty advisor or meet with an academic advisor to ensure all graduation requirements have been met.

Pending/Pending approved: Your application will remain pending or pending approved until all final grades are in and your file has been approved by the dean of your faculty.

Graduation not approved: Your application has not been approved by your faculty/school. Contact your faculty/school if you believe that you have met graduation requirements and should be eligible to graduate. Otherwise, you will need to re-apply for graduation in a subsequent session when you become eligible to graduate.

Withdrawn application: Your application has been withdrawn and will not be evaluated for graduation. You must re-apply for a subsequent session.

Approved: Your file is complete and your application has been approved by the dean of your faculty (this status usually appears in the months of May and November and will remain until the May and November Senate meetings). Your credential will not appear on your transcript until Senate meets to approve all graduates and confer their degrees.

Conferred: Your degree has been conferred (awarded) and your credentials will appear on your transcript (this status appears after the May and November Okanagan Senate meetings).

My degree is not noted on my transcript yet, but I need proof that I’ve completed all my requirements. What should I do?

Contact your Faculty to request a letter of completion.

I have missed the deadline to apply for graduation. Can I still graduate?

Late applicants will only be considered if there is sufficient time to adjudicate the application. Otherwise, applicants will have to reapply during the fall graduation period.
Please email us at

Back to top

Graduation and your degree specialization

My degree specialization listed on the SSC is not correct. What should I do?

Contact an academic advisor.

I am doing a double major. Which group of majors will I graduate with?

If you are a student completing a double major, you will be assigned to the ceremony for the major that is listed first on your student record (i.e., a double major in French and Economics will be assigned to French). To check your student record, log into the Student Service Centre (SSC), select “Registration,” and then “My Program.”

I am currently taking a course at another university or college for credit toward my UBC degree. What do I need to do to graduate?

Follow these steps:

Arrange for an official transcript from the other institution to be mailed directly to Enrolment Services at UBCO or emailed directly to if e-transcripts are offered by the issuing institution.

Send to:

Transfer credit
Enrolment Services
UBC, Enrolment Services
3272 University Way
Kelowna, BC V1V 1V7

Check the transfer credit page for more information or e-mail with any questions.

Back to top

Your diploma

How do I change the name on my diploma

Refer to our Changing the name on your diploma page. There is a deadline to submit name change requests in time for graduation.

I could not attend my graduation ceremony and was going to pick up my diploma, but I can’t make it to campus. Can someone pick it up for me?

Yes. If you would like someone to pick up your diploma on your behalf, you will first need to provide them with Third-Party Authorization.

Where can I get a UBC diploma frame?

Frames are available for purchase at the UBCO Bookstore.

Back to top

Graduation ceremony

When will I know my ceremony date and time?

Details about the graduation ceremony will be available at the Graduation at UBC website.

I don’t plan on attending the ceremony. Do I still need to apply to graduate?

Yes, you are required to apply for graduation regardless of whether you are able to attend the ceremony. If you do not apply you will not graduate.

I will not complete my degree requirements until December. Which conferral do I apply for?

If you will not complete your requirements by the fall conferral deadline, you must apply to graduate in the spring ceremony following the completion of your degree requirements. If you will not meet degree requirements by the deadline for spring graduation, you must apply for fall graduation.

Where can I find information about my graduation gown and grad photos?

For more information about guests, ceremony schedules, gown rentals, or photos, visit the Graduation Ceremony website.

Back to top


If you’re not graduating

I am not ready to graduate. Why am I being prompted to apply for graduation?

Some degree or diploma/certificate programs do not have year levels, so our system cannot determine when you’ll be completing your program. For some programs, students may take from eight months to five years to graduate. We want to make sure that those who are eligible to graduate know they should apply.

I have applied for graduation by mistake. How can I withdraw my application?

You can withdraw your graduation application by sending in a written request to When you are ready to graduate, please remember to apply again.

Who can I contact for info regarding graduation application and diplomas?

For information regarding graduation application and diplomas, email us at

Back to top