Student health clinic

health clinic, campus, student

We provide treatment and consultation for any student health concerns, and offer health information and referrals for physical, emotional, or sexual/reproductive health.

Our clinical team of Registered Nurses and General Practitioners can assist students with:

  • Assessment and treatment of health concerns
  • Prescriptions
  • First Aid
  • Sexual and reproductive health
  • Transcare Management (please contact the clinic for specifics)
  • Lab tests, blood work, x-rays, ultrasounds, and diagnostic scans
  • Harm reduction supplies
  • Allergy shots (please contact the clinic for specifics)

Book an appointment

Open Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

The Health & Wellness physician is available for appointments:

  • Monday to Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
  • Nursing staff are available on Friday’s from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Please drop by UNC 337 or call us at 250 807 9270 to book an appointment.

Drop-in appointments will be accommodated where possible, but appointments are recommended to help avoid a longer wait time.

September, 2019 to April, 2020

The health clinic is usually open from 9 am to 4 pm daily, Monday to Friday. We occasionally will shut down temporarily for staff to attend training and meetings. We are closed for the December winter break.

Cancelling an appointment

To avoid a cancellation fee, please contact our office at least two hours in advance if you need to cancel your appointment. The cancellation fee is $30 for an appointment with physician, nurse, or counsellor, and $50 for a complete exam or procedure.

Note to Parents

Whenever possible, we encourage students to schedule their own appointments. If you are concerned about your child’s health and are unsure how to help them, please ask to speak with the clinic nurse and she may be able to assist you. While the nurse may not be able to respond to your request immediately, she will assist you as promptly as possible.

Cost & fees

There are no extra fees to use Health & Wellness services. Most services are covered by your provincial health insurance. However, please take note of the following:

  • In order to see a physician, you must bring your Care Card or Personal Health Number on your first visit. This may be from BC or from your home province. International students should be enrolled in iMED until they are eligible to enrol in the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP). Students with other insurance are required to pay cash for services and will be given a receipt to apply for reimbursement from their insurance provider.
  • Students who do not have health insurance will be charged for medical services. A few services (e.g. third-party requests) are not covered by health insurance and are billed directly to the student.
  • Additionally, a fee may be charged if you fail to attend or cancel an appointment without appropriate advanced notice. Please see our fee schedule (PDF) on our home page for a summary of this information.

More information about Health Insurance

Office fees

Please refer to our schedule of fees (PDF) for specific procedure pricing.

Some of the resources available to you at no charge include:

  • Free nicotine patch or gum to help you quit smoking
  • Sexual health supplies (condoms)
  • Bandaids and dressing supplies
  • Tensors for ankle and wrist sprains
  • Ice packs for strains and sprains, swelling
  • Immunizations – Tetanus, Cervarix, Flu (must meet criteria)
  • Pamphlet information and resources
  • Crutch loan and on-site SAD lamp usage

If the clinic is closed

If you require care when the clinic is closed, refer to our Emergency an Crisis Response resources.


Our services are completely confidential. Information cannot be shared with anyone, including your family, faculty, other student services, and other doctors’ offices or agencies without your consent.

Health & Wellness must follow BC law, and sometimes this means breaking medical confidentiality. This happens only in rare situations, such as:

  • If a child (18 years and under) is in need of protection from harm, the Ministry of Children and Family Development need to be informed
  • If a person’s ability to drive may be reduced, the motor vehicle branch may need to be informed
  • If someone’s life or safety may be at risk, the police may need to be informed
  • If a judge or other legal authority provides a court order requesting information.

We will let you know if we are compelled to share specific details about your health with others without your consent, such as in the above scenarios.

Other health care professionals on campus

As a UBC Okanagan student, you may have access to the following other types of health care professionals on campus, including:

  • Sports Medicine Physician
  • Athletic therapist
  • Clinical Counsellors
  • Registered Dietitian
  • Massage Therapist
  • Inter-professional clinic (Psychology)

Some of these providers may require a physician referral. For inquiries, please contact Health & Wellness.

Medication for symptoms of depression & anxiety

Depression and anxiety are treatable conditions. The treatment of these conditions may include psychotherapy (counselling), drug therapy, or some combination of these therapies.

Medications for treatment of depression and anxiety symptoms (PDF).

The health clinic is a university operated health clinic. Our physician is available to see students from September until April.  Although the clinic does operate some walk-in appointments, we do not represent ourselves as a full service walk-in clinic,

If you require after hours or weekend health care, please consider the following options:

  • Health advice, by called the “Nurse help line” at 811
  • Walk-in clinics in the region; check out to find out the closest walk in clinic and waiting times
  • Campus Security are available for first aid emergencies and are available 24/7
  • Kelowna General Hospital is available 24/7
  • Emergency services in BC can be reached by calling 911
  • Kelowna crisis line can be reached at 1 888 353 2273 or 1 800 784 2433.