Tuition & fees

Fees, including tuition, program, course, special, and student society fees, are approved by the Board of Governors following consultation with students and are subject to change. Students are advised to consult the Academic Calendar regularly for updated information.

Student fees include fees authorized by student referendum, the UBC Board of Governors, and other student societies and organizations. Student fees are due annually and charged to all students. Fees are calculated according to full- or part-time status, session, and study level. Some student fees have opt-out provisions.

Tuition fee deferments

If you submitted your StudentAidBC application by July 31 and you are eligible for sufficient loan funds to pay your tuition and fees, you will automatically be granted a tuition deferment. Eligible students will have fees deferred one month after the tuition fee deadline in September or January.

Deferments do not cover your registration deposit.

If you applied by July 31 for assistance through other provinces or the U.S. Stafford Loan Program, or if you can document exceptional circumstances for submitting late loan applications (e.g. family emergency, medical disability), contact Student Records & Financial Services to request deferment.

Verify your deferment

You can verify that your deferment has been processed by accessing your fee information on the Student Service Centre (SSC) for summer 2024 courses, or on Workday for Winter 2024/25 courses.

Students are responsible for checking their fee due dates.

Late payment of fees

Your fees must be paid in full by the payment due dates. Otherwise, students may be placed on financial hold, charged a processing fee and charged an interest penalty. The financial hold will be removed when the outstanding balance, including penalties, is paid in full.

Financial hold overview

A student may be placed on financial hold as a result of outstanding fees, including tuition and student fees, parking and library fees, and Student Housing & Hospitality Service fees.

What happens when you’re on financial hold?

  • Registration will be blocked
  • A $35.00 processing fee will be assessed
  • Interest will be assessed at the end of every month
  • Ordering transcripts and diplomas will be unavailable
  • UBC Student Housing & Hospitality Services may refuse admission to residences, may withdraw residence and dining privileges, and may require a resident to vacate the premises
  • Parking may withdraw parking privileges and tow vehicles
  • The Library may withdraw borrowing privileges and electronic access
  • Accounts severely past due can be sent to a collection agency

What registration activities will be blocked

  • New course registration
  • Registration in course wait lists
  • Switching course sections
  • Viewing your grades summary
  • Ordering transcripts

Things that don’t happen when you’re on financial hold

  • You will not automatically be dropped from your classes
  • Your professors will not be notified

What to do if you’re on financial hold

The financial hold will be removed when the outstanding balance, including penalties, is paid in full. You should try to pay as soon as possible to avoid being charged further interest. The financial hold will only be removed once the payment has been processed by UBC.

Interest penalty

Interest will be charged at a rate of prime plus six percent per annum. Interest is charged on all outstanding amounts that are past due and is calculated toward the end of each month and will not exceed 60% per annum.

How to calculate interest charged

To find the interest charged at the end of each month follow the instructions below:

  1. Find the rate of prime
  2. Add six percent to the rate of prime to get your interest per year
  3. Divide your interest per year by 12 months
  4. This will be the interest charged on all outstanding amounts past due