Study Options - Letter of Permission (LOP), Cross Campus Registration, UBC Distance Education

Studying at other institutions with a Letter of Permission

UBC students are expected to complete degree requirements at UBC. In extenuating circumstances faculties may grant students permission to study outside of UBC with a Letter of Permission (LOP). An LOP is an agreement between you and the institution that allows you to remain a UBC student and guarantees that you will get transfer credits for the courses you completed. An LOP must be approved by the Dean's office prior to registering at another college or university. Without an approved LOP, UBC has no obligation to award transfer credits.

  1. Ensure that you are eligible to submit a LOP Request (see your faculty specific LOP request form)
  2. Decide where you would like to study and what you would like to take. A list of popular distance education institutions and options can be found at the bottom of this webpage.
  3. Check with the school you are interested in attending to ensure that the course you would like to take is being offered in the term you would like to take it.
  4. Check the BC Transfer Guide to see how coursework will transfer from another institution to UBC's Okanagan campus. If the course you'd like to take is not from an institution within BC, please see an Academic Advisor (be prepared by having an electronic copy of the detailed syllabus of the course(s) you would like to take).
  5. Submit your request for approval as per the instructions on the form specific to your faculty.
  6. If approved, you’ll receive notification via email from your dean's office. If approved, you are welcome to enroll at the post-secondary institution as a visiting student in the courses indicated on the LOP. Note: If you receive an approved LOP this does not guarantee your admission to another institution. You need to meet all entry requirements as a visiting student at the host institution.
  7. When you have completed the course, order your transcript and have it sent to:
          UBC Okanagan - Enrolment Services
          UNC 322 3272 University Way
          Kelowna, BC Canada V1V 1V7

BA and BSc students - If you are requesting courses in the following subjects: ARTH, CCS, CRWR, CULT, ENGL, FILM, FREN, GERM, JPST, MUSC, SPAN, THTR, or VISA; please use the Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies LOP request form.  

BA and BSc students must meet with an Academic Advisor before submitting a Letter of Permission request to the Dean's office. 

LOP request forms

School of Engineering LOP 

Faculty of Arts and Sciences LOP

Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies LOP

School of Health & Exercise Sciences (HMKN) LOP

School of Nursing (NRSG) LOP

Faculty of Management LOP

Popular distance education institutions

Cross campus registration

To take courses on the Vancouver campus, students must receive approval for cross campus registration.

For instructions, eligibility requirements, and the cross campus request form go to: Before submitting a cross campus request form, be sure to check to see if the course(s) will work towards your Okanagan degree requirements using the UBC Equivalency site:

Please note: Approval is not guaranteed; if approved, you will be registered by the Vancouver faculty once all UBC Vancouver students have registered.

UBC distance education

UBC offers distance education courses which can provide students with flexible learning opportunities that enable them to balance their personal, professional, and educational lives.

Please consult the courses section of the UBC Distance Learning website for course information.

You can also view the course listings on the Course Schedule. To view Distance Education courses on the course schedule you have to change the Campus to UBC Vancouver. You can then select "Search" and choose "Courses". In the search screen you will have to check off "Return Distance Education courses only". Now when you hit "Search for Sections" you will only see UBC Distance Education Courses.

Courses offered through Distance Learning have UBC Vancouver course numbers and titles. Be sure to talk with an Academic Advisor prior to registering to ensure the coursework you are interested in will be applicable towards your degree requirements.

Interested in taking courses through UBC's Vancouver campus (online or through distance education)?

Be sure to check that the UBC Vancouver courses will meet your UBC Okanagan degree requirements using the UBC Equivalency Search.

If the courses aren't listed in the UBC Equivalency Search check with an Academic Advisor for more information.

On campus

Log in to your SSC account and browse the Course Schedule. Select UBC Okanagan and then select the session you are going to be registering in (20XX Winter or 20XX Summer). The Winter Session runs from September to April. The Summer Session runs from mid-May to mid-August.


Last reviewed shim4/10/2018 2:32:20 PM