Declaring majors

Students can self-declare most specializations in Workday if they meet the program entry requirements. Specializations can be adjusted throughout a degree as interests change or develop. Learn more about declaring or changing your primary major, honours or specialization.

Bachelor of Applied Science (BASc)

BASc students can declare their specialization in their third year of the program. The specializations are Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering. BASc students can also apply to complete a minor in Computer Science or Management. Students are not able to declare these specializations on the web. Applications or inquiries should be directed to the engineering department.

Bachelor of Arts (BA)

BA students must declare their major at the end of their second year (after completing a minimum of 48 credits) prior to registration for third year. However, there are many majors in the BA that can be declared anytime during the degree or once a students is promoted to second year. BA students wishing to declare a major or minor in Creative Writing, can do so at any time. BA students wishing to declare a major in Cultural Studies, English, French, Languages, Art History and Visual Culture, Anthropology, Economics, Psychology, Sociology may do so once they are promoted to second year.

BA students may declare a minor once they are promoted to third year. Note: a minor is not a requirement for degree completion.

Degree Major Contact Office
BA English Academic & Career Advising UNC 207
BA General Studies Academic & Career Advising UNC 207
BA International Relations Manfred Elstrom ART 257
BA Political Science Academic & Career Advising UNC 207
BA PPE Academic & Career Advising UNC 207
BA Sociology Academic & Career Advising UNC 207
BA & BSc Economics Academic & Career Advising UNC 207

Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)

BFA students in Visual Arts do not have to declare a major. Students may choose to add a minor in any Arts or Science subject. A minor can be declared upon entering the third year of the BFA program. Adding a minor will most likely require more than four years to complete.

Bachelor of Human Kinetics (B.H.K.)

Students who wish to focus on their non-Human Kinetics electives may undertake an optional minor program in conjunction with the B.H.K. degree. All courses in the minor must be taken outside of Human Kinetics. Students completing the B.H.K. may complete a minor in Arts (e.g. Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies, Indigenous Studies, Psychology, Sociology, etc.) or Science (e.g. Biology, Chemistry).

Students must pay particular attention to the number of upper-level credits required for a minor versus the number of credits available in their upper-level non-HMKN electives. Careful planning is required. Students are advised to seek assistance from Academic Advising to ensure appropriate program planning.

Bachelor of Management

Management students have the option of adding a minor in Computer Science, Cultural Studies, Economics, Psychology, or Sociology to their Bachelor of Management degree in their third year. To complete a minor in Computer Science, Cultural Studies, Economics, Psychology, or Sociology, students must accumulate no fewer than 30 credits in their chosen study. At least 18 of these credits must be numbered 300 or above. This may require students to take additional credits of study.

Bachelor of Media Studies (BMS)

BMS students do not have to declare a major. Students in the Bachelor of Media Studies may construct their program to include a minor in any of the disciplines offered by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, the Faculty of Science, and the Faculty of Critical and Creative Studies.

Bachelor of Science (BSc)

The majority of BSc students must declare their specialization/major at the end of their first year (after successfully completing a minimum of 24 credits) prior to registering for second year. Majors in the BSc, with the exception of Economics, can be self-declared. For a list of possible majors in the BSc programs, visit the Academic Calendar.

To declare a Major in Economics in the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science, you must have completed ECON 204 and 205. See an Academic Advisor to have this Major declared for you.

Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)

BSN students are not required to declare a major, minor, specialization, or concentration to complete their degree.

BA or BSc Honours Degree

As per the Academic Calendar, graduating from the BA or BSc with Honours “provides an intensive program of study in an established discipline or program. Students who complete this program will learn to work independently with a high standard of competency in their chosen field.” Typically, graduating with an Honours degree requires a specific GPA and a thesis. Check the Academic Calendar to see if your major has an Honours option, eligibility requirements will be listed there. Students can apply to the Honours program at the end of their third year of studies. For information on applying to the Honours program, contact your faculty specific program advisor: