Winter Break Service Updates:
- The Student Learning Hub (LIB 237) is closed December 24, 2022 to January 8, 2023
- Subject Tutoring appointments end December 16, 2022
- Subject Tutor appointments resume January 9, 2023
The Student Learning Hub at UBC’s Okanagan campus provides free tutoring five days a week! Join us and develop your confidence, independence, and proficiency as you pursue success in your courses. We are currently offering tutoring services virtually and in person. Please refer to the schedule below for more details. Our tutoring supports a broad range of subjects, including:
- Applied Science (APSC)
- Biochemistry (BIOC)
- Biology (BIOL)
- Chemistry (CHEM)
- Computer Science (COSC)
- Economics (ECON)
- Earth & Environmental Sciences (EESC)
- Geography (GEOG)
- Health and Exercise Science (HES)
- History (HIST)
- Mathematics (MATH)
- Management (MGMT)
- Physics (PHYS)
- Political Science (POLI)
- Psychology (PSYO)
- Sociology (SOCI)
- Statistics (STAT)
Our upper-year peer tutors are trained to help with course content and problem-solving techniques. Tutors are available to help with many types of problems, but they will not complete any part of a class assignment and will not work on take-home exams, pre-lab assignments, or lab assignments. Instead, tutors will guide you through similar content that will help you complete the assignment yourself and grow your understanding of the topic.
Connect with a tutor
Book an appointment
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
One-on-one appointments are available Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9 am to 4:30 pm in the Student Learning Hub, LIB 237.
To book your appointment, login to QReserve and view the available tutors and times. Reserve an appointment time that works for you! Virtual appointments are also available.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any issues with using QReserve.
Tuesdays and Thursdays
Have a quick question? Looking for a supportive place to study? Drop-in tutoring and supported study is available every Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am to 4:30 pm in the Student Learning Hub, and from 5 to 7 pm in Nechako residence.
Student Learning Hub: LIB 237
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9 am to 4:30 pm
Nechako Residence: Room 241
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5 to 7 pm
Tips & FAQs
To join QReserve and view the schedules:
1. Go to access.qreserve.com/ubcostudentlearninghub and login with your CWL.
2. Once logged in, you will be prompted to complete your profile.
3. From your “Dashboard” or “Sites,” find the “UBCO – Student Learning Hub” and click.
4. Once joined, you’ll be able to view the schedule for “Subject Tutors” on the right side of the page (if this link does not work, use the one above first)
Although it is helpful for you to prepare for your tutoring session by coming up with some specific questions, we realize that this is not always possible. Tutors are trained to help you at whatever level you are at and can help you pinpoint your areas of difficulty.
We encourage you to provide your tutor with any assignment sheets, instructions, or guidelines that you’re instructor has provided.
Students interested in being a peer tutor should be in their second, third, or fourth year of an undergraduate degree program. Interested applicants must demonstrate:
- A high level of academic achievement, combined with excellent study skill habits
- The ability to clearly and concisely explain concepts to their peers
- Excellent communication skills and a friendly and positive attitude
- A desire to provide guidance and help others learn
Tutoring is a supplement to teaching and provides expertise, experience, and encouragement, rather than simply providing answers. Check the UBCO Job Board regularly to view any current postings.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com
At this time, the Student Learning Hub does not offer any private tutoring services.
We encourage you to make use of the free support provided to you through the Student Learning Hub. For those wishing to engage in course material outside of the classroom we encourage you to check out our online resources.
For those looking for private tutors for hire, you can visit the UBCSUO tutor registry.
Please note that UBC, the UBCSUO, and the Student Learning Hub do not provide any screening or formal interview process for these tutors. It is strongly recommended to ask for sample work, and/or check references prior to working with the tutor.