Events & workshops
The Academic Integrity Digital Poster Contest seeks creative designs (in exchange for cash prizes)!
This is a competition to find novel ways to educate students at UBC Okanagan on the importance of Academic Integrity. The contest theme is “Integrity Begins with Me.” In addition to receiving cash prizes of $250 (first place) and $100 (second place), the selected designs will be used for a campus-wide education campaign in 2021.
The design submission period for the contest opens December 1, 2020 and has been extended to January 24, 2021. Information about registration, submission, and contest terms and conditions can be found below.
- Participants must be students enrolled at the University of British Columbia at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Student submissions should be entered by completing the online form (on Qualtrics). Access to the material will be requested via a link to an accessible platform (e.g., One Drive, Google Drive, Drop Box, etc.)
- Two versions for each submission is required:
- Instagram Post: Square Photo (aspect ratio 1:1) 1080 x 1080px and Facebook/Twitter (aspect ratio 1.91:1) 1200 x 628px. Accepted file types will either be .png or .jpeg.
- Submissions can be by an individual (“Principal Author”) and/or teams (co-authors), but all contributors to the submission must be named [Principal Student Author and student co-authors are those who will have done the majority of the work on the submission].
- All contributors to, and participants in, the submission must be acknowledged and have given explicit permission to be included.
- Individuals or teams may enter more than one submission.
- The submission must be an original piece of work.
- The winners of the contest will be judged by members of the UBCO Academic Integrity Working Group (AIWG).
The submissions will be judged on:
- Theme: the submission addresses Integrity Begins with Me. We are specifically looking for creative submissions that promote the fundamental values of integrity: honesty, trust, fairness, respect, responsibility, and courage; and what it means to act with integrity even in the face of stress, pressure or disappointment.
- Focus: the submission should be educational (e.g., teaching students about academic integrity or professional ethics, teaching students the threats to education because of contract cheating, encouraging students not to cheat or give into peer pressure to cheat).
- Originality: the submission must be created specifically for this contest and free of any copyright (https://copyright.ubc.ca/) or ethical (e.g., plagiarism) violations; and,
- Creativity: the submission must take an interesting and novel approach to conveying the message (e.g., a humorous slant on convincing students to act with integrity or an image that is impactful)
- The UBCO AIWG reserves the right to disqualify any submissions that do not reasonably appeal to the topic of academic integrity or are considered offensive.
- The UBCO AIWG reserves the right to cancel or modify this competition, not distribute any awards, or not publish any submission.
- By entering this contest, Principal Author and co-authors give permission to the UBCO AIWG to publish their submissions in any manner they wish.
- By entering this contest, Principal Author and co-authors give permission to the UBCO AIWG to use the submissions for educational, promotional, or research purposes.
- Decide if you are going to enter as an independent student or student team submission.
- Start creating! Your submission should be an original, creative idea for educating or promoting integrity – it can be funny or serious. Remember, we have a very diverse student population so keep that in mind!
- Submissions will be entered through the Qualtrics Form that gives the title of your entry, the names of the Principal Student Author, student co-authors as well as any other student contributors, a 50-word statement of rationale, and acknowledgements listing all sources (people or otherwise) used in the creation of the submission. Please consult UBC’s Copyright Guidelines as you create your submission: https://copyright.ubc.ca/
- Submissions must meet these Terms and Conditions and be received in the by *Deadline Extended* January 24th, 2021 at midnight (PST)
- Principal Author must acknowledge agreement to the Terms and Conditions of the contest by checking the appropriate box on the Qualtrics Form, affirming that they have abided by the terms and conditions for this contest.
These guidelines were adapted with permission from the ICAI International Center for Academic Integrity “5th International Day of Action (IDoA) Against Contract Cheating Student Creative Contest.” The original “Students Speaking Up for Integrity Contest” competition guide can be found at https://www.academicintegrity.org/163850-2/
Thank a Prof
Has there been a prof who stands out and has had a positive influence in your learning this semester? Not sure how to thank them? The Centre for Teaching and Learning invites you to Thank a Prof! Your nominee will receive a letter of recognition from the Centre for Teaching and Learning. Your identity as the nominator remains anonymous.
Exam Jam Term 1 2020/21 is now over. Thank you for attending and making our first virtual Exam Jam a success!
Check back for details on Exam Jam Term 2. If you have questions about the Exam Jam Term 1 sessions, contact email@example.com
Exam Jam is your one stop for final exam prep!
We know that final exam season is a difficult time. It’s hard not to get anxious, overwhelmed, and stressed—but have no fear, Exam Jam is here! Peers and pros from the Student Learning Hub and Health and Wellness will lead online sessions to support you. We care about you and want to see you succeed.
Exam Jam is an all-day, virtual event aimed to help you de-stress, manage your time, develop more productive study habits, and learn course content. From therapy dogs, tech prep, yoga, and stress busters to study skills support and essay exam workshops, Exam Jam has something for everyone! Once registered, you can pick and choose from a variety of sessions to suit your needs.
If you want to avoid stress, stay focused, and get energized for your final exams, register and join us on Saturday, December 5! Attend one, two, three, or all of our sessions—it’s up to you.
Registration for Exam Jam Term 1 2020/21 is now closed.