If you are a student who is enrolled in a BC secondary school, has a superior academic record, and has the support of your school principal and your parent/guardian, you may apply to the University of British Columbia via Access Studies to pursue Concurrent Studies while you are still in high school.
Students in this category may take up to 6 credits per academic term, up to a maximum of 12 credits. Continuation as an Access Studies student is contingent upon maintaining a passing grade on all courses attempted
To be considered for concurrent enrolment at UBC via Access Studies, you must:
- have a superior academic record
- be enrolled in a BC secondary school in a program that meets regular UBC entry requirements
- have the written recommendation of the principal of your high school
- have the written consent of your parent or legal guardian
Tuition fees for UBC students are assessed on a per-credit basis and depend on the level of the course and the faculty in which it is offered.
Most undergraduate courses are 3 or 6 credits in value, although there are exceptions. The course schedule will detail the credit value of a course.
Students studying on campus at UBC's Okanagan campus are assessed student fees in addition to their tuition. Some of these fees have opt-out provisions, highlighted on the site.
Most student fees are assessed on a per-credit basis, so depending on how many credits you are taking, the total amount of student fees owing will fluctuate.
Expect to pay about $100–$150 per course for course materials. Course materials are available through the UBC Bookstore Okanagan.
If you wish to take courses at UBC concurrent with your enrolment at a BC secondary school, apply to the Access Studies program by following the steps outlined below.
- Ensure that you meet the English Language Requirement.
- Visit the course schedule to view the courses offered, and choose the courses that you are interested in taking.
- Apply using the application form.
- Receive confirmation of your application from Access Studies and an outline of the materials required to evaluate your application.
- Submit all of the required materials. These will be sent by Access Studies to your chosen faculty for evaluation.
- Once you have been approved by the faculty for enrolment at UBC's Okanagan campus, you will receive confirmation of this along with registration instructions.
- Register for classes at UBC's Okanagan campus.
The deadline to apply and submit all required documents is one month prior to the start date of the course.
- For summer courses: March 31
- For September courses: July 31
- For January courses: November 30
Submit your required materials by the deadline. We will submit them to your chosen faculty for evaluation. Once you have been approved by the faculty for enrolment in courses at UBC, you will receive an email with confirmation and registration instructions.
What else do I need to know?
- Enrolment for Access Studies Students is on a part-time basis in a limited selection of courses and programs.
- Being admitted to UBC as an Access Studies student does not guarantee entrance to your requested courses or subsequent admission to a degree program at UBC.
- You may be able to transfer your courses to a future UBC degree program, at the discretion of the faculty you apply to.
- To register you'll need to meet course prerequisites through previous study, relevant experience, or instructor permission.
Last reviewed 1/31/2017 3:35:44 PM