To enrol in any first-year English course, you must have satisfied one of the following prerequisites:
- 70% in English 12 or English 12 First Peoples1, 2
- a score of 5 on the LPI
- a passing grade in the Okanagan campus' ENGL 009
1 Language of instruction must be English.
2 Either your final course grade or your final blended grade (a combination of your course grade and your final exam result) must meet or exceed 70%.
You can also satisfy the prerequisite through one of the following options:
- 70% in Grade 12 English literature1
- a score of 3 or higher in IB English (A1 or A2; Standard or Higher Level)
- a score of 2 or higher in AP English Language and Composition or AP English Literature and Composition
- a grade of C or better in A-Level English (British-patterned education)
- 70% in Grade 12 or senior English (non-ESL) in an English curriculum school in a country where English is the primary language (as recognized by UBC)
- a minimum score of 610 on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section of the new SAT or a minimum score of 550 on the Writing section of the pre-2016 SAT
- a minimum score of 24 on the English section of the ACT
1Language of instruction must be English.
Enrolment in ENGL 112, 113, 114, 150, 151, or 153 will not be permitted for students who do not meet the stated prerequisite or one of its equivalents. To satisfy the first-year English prerequisite for future enrolment, please register in ENGL 009 or visit the LPI website to arrange to write the test.
Please note: UBC's Okanagan and Vancouver campuses have different prerequisites for first-year English courses. If you intend to register in a first-year English course at UBC's Vancouver campus, visit First-Year English for prerequisite information specific to that campus.
Please also note: Transfer students, and students who have already completed at least 3 credits of first-year English at UBC, are exempt from the first-year English prerequisite at UBC's Okanagan campus.
Last reviewed 11/16/2017 8:56:16 AM