Preferred Name Changes

UBC recognizes that many members of its community use first names other than their legal names originally provided to the University to identify themselves. A preferred first name is a name that you commonly use that is different from your legal first name.

Inappropriate use of the preferred first name procedure including attempts to avoid a legal obligation via misrepresentation, or the use of inappropriate language, will result in the denial and/or reversal of the request and can be disciplined through either Academic or Non-Academic Misconduct.

UBC uses a student's preferred name in the following places:

  • Class list (beside your given name)
  • UBCcard 
  • University-related system (e.g. Connect)
  • Various on-campus services

Your preferred name will appear instead of your legal name in university-related systems and documents (e.g. Connect), except where the use of the legal name is required by University business or legal need.

How to update your preferred name

To update your UBCcard with your preferred first name, students must first make a request in person to the Student Services front desk (University Center 2nd floor foyer). The change may take up to 48 hours to be updated in the system. Once updated, you can request a new card with your preferred name at no charge.

Implications of changing your preferred name

While UBC allows students to indicate their preferred first names without changing their legal names, it's important to be award of the implications of this change:

  • Future employers, licensing bodies, or other educational institutions may require proof that your transcripts and diplomas are your legitimate academic records. This can also be the case if you are applying for additional education or graduate programs elsewhere.
  • Official documents are often used to verify your identity and rely on consistency in name. Generally, employers and institutions that require the above documents will see your legal name, not your preferred name, which may cause confusion about the authenticity of your identity. We recommend that you change your name legally.

You can apply to change your legal name through the Government of British Columbialinks to external site.

Official Academic Records

All preferred name changes will be documented in your official academic record and kept on file while you are enrolled and after graduation. Your legal name will be used on transcripts and diplomas.

Documents that require a legal name at UBC include:

  • Official letters
  • Transcripts
  • Diploma

All information about UBC students, including their names, is personal information and is protected under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).

Last reviewed shim5/5/2017 10:13:32 AM