Academic advising is a decision-making process by which students realize their maximum educational potential through communication and information exchanges with an advisor.
Advising is a shared responsibility between an advisor and a student, it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to make decisions about their life goals by creating a plan to reach those goals. The advisor serves as a facilitator of communication and a coordinator of learning experiences through course and career planning and academic progress reviews. It’s a student-centered process that enables one to make the most of their university experience.
How can academic advisors help?
Academic advising is available to all students. Our goal is to assist students in a variety of ways:
- Academic requirements for university programs
- Discuss and explain the requirements of the programs offered
- Interpret academic policies and procedures
- Develop program plans
- Discuss various program options
- Help students improve their study skills
- Refer students to appropriate departments and services for follow up