Extending your study permit

If you’re planning to study in Canada past your study permit’s expiry date, you must extend it before it expires.

When should I apply?

It’s recommended that you apply three to four months before your current study permit expires.

Important: Study permits can only be extended in Canada.

How to extend your study permit?

Visit our tutorial for step-by-step instructions, a list of required documents, and other important info that will help you complete your application.

Tutorial: Extend your study permit from within Canada

If your permit expires after IRCC receives your application

If you and your family members’ immigration documents (e.g. study permit, or work permit, visitor record, etc.) expires after Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has received your application to extend your current documents, you will still be considered a temporary resident of Canada until a decision about your application is made. This is known as “maintained status” (formerly ‘implied status’).

It is very important that you submit your application online before 11:59pm Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), not midnight your local time, the day your status expires to have maintained status.

With maintained status, you may continue studying (and working, if eligible), as long as you meet the conditions of your study permit while you remain in Canada.

If you leave Canada while you are on maintained status, you may re-enter, provided that you:

  • Have a valid TRV, or
  • Are from a TRV-exempt country, or
  • Are from a TRV-required country AND have solely visited the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon.
    • Note: TRV-required nationals are exempt from needing a TRV based under immigration regulation, R190(3)(f)(ii).

In the above cases, you may re-enter Canada but cannot resume study and work until your application for renewal is granted.

When you re-enter Canada at an airport or land border, you must present documents that provide proof of your application, such as a:

  • Copy of your application
  • Copy of the fee payment receipt
  • Copy of the confirmation of submission available in your MyCIC account from IRCC

If your study permit expires and you haven’t applied for an extension

If your permit expires before Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) receives your extension application, you will be “out of status”.

You must stop studying and working immediately.

  • You are not authorized to attend classes or work while you are out of status.

See an International Student Advisor in Global Engagement Office (UNC 227).

  • You have 90 days from the day you went out of status to apply for restoration.
  • An International Student Advisor should review your application before you submit it.

Get a new study permit. You have two options, both of which are expensive and will disrupt your studies:

Option one:

  1. You can apply to restore your immigration status.
  2. If you have not applied to extend your study permit and it expired more than 90 days ago, you will have to apply outside Canada for a new study permit. You may also be barred from applying for another study permit for up to six months.

If you will travel after applying or are outside of Canada

See our FAQ on the differences between applying for a study permit from inside or outside of Canada.

Be sure to review our Travelling to Canada Guide before making travel plans.

If you still have questions

International Student Advisors are available to help.

International Student Advising

The information on this page may change

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.