Amending documents

The information on this page may change.

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.

Amendments apply to the mistakes made by IRCC when your documents were issued.

Overview of the process

Eligibility: Amendments apply only to the mistakes that are made by IRCC when your documents were issued. For example, if you are eligible to work in Canada but your study permit states you “may not work” or “may not accept employment”, you’ll need to amend your study permit to get the right wording to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) in order to work.

When to apply

As soon as possible.


No cost.

Processing time

One to two months.

How to apply

By paper only.
Mail to:
Amendment to the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Temporary Resident Document Operation Support Centre (OSC)
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Ottawa, Canada, K1A 1L1

Application form

Request to Amend the Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident documents [IMM 1436].
Note: Make sure you use the newest form available on the IRCC website.

General supporting documents

Important: Even though the document checklist indicates you can include either a letter of acceptance or a letter of enrolment; you must include both of these documents.

  • Document checklist IMM 1436 (PDF).
  • Letter of acceptance: Include a copy of the UBC acceptance letter provided when you initially applied for your study permit. This will confirm to IRCC that your study permit was issued based on a work-eligible program and that the omission of the proper work conditions from your permit was an error on their part.
  • Letter of enrolment: Students entering in Summer 2024 courses can download this letter from the Student Service Centre (SSC). Students entering in Winter 2024 can download this letter in Workday. Grad students, students applying in summer when not enrolled in summer courses, and those with unusual circumstances (e.g. studies are taking longer than usual) should request a letter from their academic advisor or department staff stating their status as a student and their expected date of program completion. Submit this in addition to a letter of enrolment.
  • Copy of your passport bio-page (the page with your name and picture).
  • Copy of another government–issued ID (National Identity Card, Driver’s License, etc).
  • Original study permit
  • Other relevant documents as required on the application checklist


Application Form

The answer to questions 20 and 21 are usually the same. It is the date that you first entered Canada as a student (usually the issue date on your study permit).

On page 2, leave all of Section B and question #1 in Section C blank.

In Section C question #2, write the following (as applicable):

  • If you are a UBC degree- or diploma-seeking studentPlease amend my study permit to reflect my eligibility to work on and off campus in Canada so that I may apply for a Social Insurance Number. I am a full-time, degree- or diploma-seeking student at the University of British Columbia. Thank you. 
  • If you are a non-degree-seeking student (Exchange, VIRS)Please amend my study permit to reflect my eligibility to work on campus in Canada so that I may apply for a Social Insurance Number. I am a full-time student at the University of British Columbia. Thank you.

Make sure you sign and date your application. It will be returned to you if it is not signed.

Supporting documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
  • a certified copy of the original document.

To have your documents translated by a Certified Translator, you can contact the Society of Interpreters and Translators of British Columbia and search for a Certified Translator for your language.

Need help scanning your documents? Visit the Library for assistance.

General information

  • Keep a clear photocopy of your study permit for your records—you must send the original with your application.
  • Use Xpresspost or a courier service when sending your application, and ask for your package to be tracked so that you know when it arrives. IRCC will not send you confirmation that they have received your application.
  • Check the IRCC Application Guide for more details.

After you get the amended permit

Apply for your Social Insurance Number (SIN). You need a SIN to work in Canada.