Travelling to Canada
If you’re an international student planning to come to UBC, we are here to help.
There are important steps to take before you plan your trip. It’s important for you to review the guide and understand the process and requirements before you travel.
Step 1. Before making travel arrangements
Before making travel arrangements, there are a few things you will need to consider.
- Understand what travel documents are required
- Consider when to travel
- Get advice on whether you should travel
Step 2. Before you travel to Canada
Before you travel to Canada, you must make sure you prepare the right documents.
- Get a new immigration medical exam, if required
- Confirm your health insurance coverage
- Complete the ArriveCan app (optional)
Step 3. What to bring
Find out what documents you should bring, and restrictions on what to bring with you.
- See the documentation to bring
- Learn what to pack
Step 4. While you travel to Canada
Know what to expect at the airport or border, and follow arrival steps.
- Follow arrival steps and ensure your study permit has conditions to work
Step 5. After arriving in Canada
There are a few things you need to do as soon as you arrive in Canada.
- Apply for MSP and check that you have iMED
- Complete the after-arrival checklist
- Learn about life in Canada
- Find helpful resources to get settled