BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)

About BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)

The British Columbia (BC) government Medical Services Plan (BC MSP) is a mandatory public health insurance plan for everyone who lives in BC for six months or longer. The BC MSP is an important part of benefitting from the health care available to all BC residents. The plan covers the cost of basic medical care within Canada, including most physician and hospital services. If you are not enrolled, you will have to pay for medical expenses independently.

See health insurance for international students to learn about the differences between iMED, MSP, and the UBCSUO Health and Dental Plan.

Who is eligible and how do I apply?

If you will live in BC for six months or longer, you are required by law to enroll in MSP and pay the International Student Health Fee.

You must apply for MSP as soon as you arrive in BC. You cannot apply for MSP before you arrive.

Please review the MSP Application Step-by-Step Instruction Guide before you apply


When am I covered?

There is a three-month waiting period before MSP coverage begins: this is the balance of the month in which you arrive in British Columbia (BC), plus two full calendar months. For example, if you arrive in BC on August 25, you are eligible for MSP coverage starting November 1.

To cover the waiting period for MSP, most new international students are covered by iMED health insurance for your first three months in BC.

If you extend your study permit or get a Post-Graduation Work Permit, you must apply to extend your MSP, otherwise you will not be covered.

If your study permit expires before you receive your new study or work permit, it’s very important to get temporary coverage – see below.

MSP coverage fees

As of January 1, 2020, all study permit holders are assessed a $75 health-care coverage fee per month. You must pay the British Columbia government directly.

If your family is with you in Canada, they will only be assessed the new health-care coverage fee if they also hold study permits. If they hold work permits or are here as visitors, they will not be assessed the fee.

The fees are subject to change. Check the MSP website for the most up-to-date information.

Changing from study permit to Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Even if your MSP coverage has not expired, once you get your PGWP, contact MSP by phone to update your account and request to have your fees changed. As a work permit holder, you do not need to pay the health-care coverage fee.

Getting your MSP card

When your application is processed, your MSP card, or BC Services Card, will be mailed to the address you provided in your application. Your BC Services Card will indicate your coverage period, which should match the expiration date of your study permit.

Using your MSP insurance

In most cases, you will not have to pay at the time you seek care for medically required services when you show your BC Services Card.

MSP does not cover dental care, prescription drugs, routine vision care such as eye examinations or corrective lenses, or travel. The UBCSUO Extended Health and Dental Plan is designed to cover these costs. Once you have MSP, you might need to register for the BC Fair PharmaCare Plan to enhance coverage for prescriptions.

See a full list of your medical and health care benefits provided by MSP.

In general, you should go to clinics for non-urgent medical care and hospitals for emergencies. For emergencies and for an ambulance, call 911. To learn about accessing medical services in BC, see services and resources in BC or explore the BC Newcomers’ Guide, which is available in 8 languages.

UBCO’s Student Wellness offers a range of health assessments and treatments on-campus.

Back to top

Once your MSP coverage begins

MSP will send you an invoice in the mail each month. You need to start making payments after you receive the invoice.

Remember to tell MSP if you change your address, change your name, leave BC permanently, or need to add/remove dependents to or from your coverage (for example you get married, divorced, have a common-law partner, or have children). See the Managing your MSP Account page.

Remember to keep your MSP valid by extending your MSP coverage each time you extend your temporary residency in Canada (for example, when you extend your study permit or get a post-graduation work permit). Be sure to understand how having maintained status can affect your coverage, if your study or work permit will expire while you are in Canada.

Back to top

Maintaining your MSP coverage

Generally, your MSP coverage will have the same expiry date as your status in Canada, such as the expiry date of your study permit or post-graduation work permit.

If you extend your immigration documents, make sure you extend your MSP coverage as soon as you get your new study or work permit.

Extend your MSP

Back to top

How having Maintained status impacts your coverage

If you applied for a new immigration document before the old one expired, such as a study or work permit, you remain in Canada and you won’t receive the new one before your old document expires, you will have “maintained status” (formerly called ‘implied status’). Since your BC MSP will end on the expiry date of your current immigration document, you must take action to get health insurance coverage before your MSP expires. Without valid health insurance, you will need to pay for any health services.

You might not be able to be covered under MSP until you provide proof of your new immigration document such as a copy of your study permit or post-graduation work permit, and are re-enrolled.

If you are waiting for your study permit or Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Before you get your new immigration document

You should call MSP to request continuous coverage while you are on maintained status. If you have applied to renew your study permit or applied for a PGWP before your study permit expired and you are still waiting for the approval while your current study permit has expired, you have “maintained status” and can legally stay in Canada. This is particularly important if you have a pre-existing condition that may not be covered by private health insurance, such as pregnancy.

If MSP approves continuous coverage, ask them to confirm what your coverage start date will be.

You will need to submit an MSP extension application and provide the following instead of a copy of your study or work permit:

  • A letter written by yourself explaining your status and your request for continuing coverage, such as, “I would like to request continuous coverage of BC MSP as I applied to extend my immigration documents before my BC MSP and immigration status expired and was advised by a Health Insurance BC agent that I am eligible for coverage during maintained status”, and
  • A copy of the IRCC submission confirmation (PDF) confirming that they received your application. To find your confirmation, log in to your IRCC online account account.

If MSP is not able to provide continuous coverage, purchase private temporary health insurance, such as the Global Campus Health Plan, and ensure you have temporary coverage until you have confirmation you are covered under MSP again.

After you get your new immigration document

Once you get your new immigration document, you will need to extend or reapply for MSP.

If you were approved for continuous coverage, apply to extend your MSP with a copy of your new study or work permit.

If you were not approved for continuous coverage, depending on the length of the gap in MSP coverage, you will either be able to get an extension of your MSP, or you will need to reapply for MSP. You must contact MSP by phone to confirm your eligibility as it will depend on your individual circumstances.

If you will need to reapply for MSP and serve the 3-month MSP waiting period again, you must get temporary private insurance, such as the Global Campus Health Plan, to cover you during the 3-month waiting period.

If you can extend your MSP you will need to pay for the monthly healthcare coverage fees for the months in which you held maintained status. If you have incurred medical expenses during this time you might be eligible for reimbursement only up the fees that BC MSP will normally pay.

Back to top

MSP coverage outside of BC

Maintaining your MSP eligibility

If you’re leaving British Columbia (BC) temporarily due to a co-op placement or travel plans, you will continue being billed for your health-care coverage fee.

To remain eligible for MSP, you need to live in BC for a minimum of 6 months in one calendar year. If you are absent from BC for more than 6 months, you may need to re-apply when you return to the province and go through the approximately 3-month waiting period again. Be sure to get temporary health insurance, such as the Global Campus Health Plan, for your waiting period.

For example, if you live outside of BC between May and December in 2022, you may need to reapply for your health insurance. However, if you are away from BC between September 2022 and April 2023, you remain eligible for MSP because you are only absent from the province for 4 months in each calendar year.

For more information, visit the Leaving BC Temporarily website.


Make sure you understand MSP’s residency requirements  and call MSP to discuss how your coverage could be impacted by travel plans.


You might be able to continue to use MSP coverage for 3 months outside of BC, which could be used to cover your waiting period in another province or territory. To confirm your eligibility for coverage outside of BC and options to cancel your MSP, contact MSP by phone.

Different provinces and territories in Canada have their own health insurance plans and they do not all provide coverage for international students. Check with the province or territory’s health insurance plan if you are eligible to join and how to apply. If you are not eligible, be sure to purchase private temporary insurance, such as the Global Campus Health Plan.


If you will be outside Canada for less than six months, you have the option to keep or cancel MSP.

If you will be outside of Canada for more than six monthscontact MSP by phone to confirm your eligibility. You might need to cancel your MSP coverage, or you might be given the option to keep MSP.

If you’re eligible and you decide to keep MSP, you do not have to reapply or have a three-month waiting period when you return.

If you cancel MSP, you have to reapply when you return to BC and get temporary insurance, such as the Global Campus Health Plan, for the 3-month waiting period.

Ensure you have health insurance outside of Canada. If you are purchasing health insurance, make sure you will have adequate coverage as some private health insurance companies are no longer covering COVID-19 testing and treatment expenses.


If you aren’t sure whether or not you are eligible for coverage, you must call MSP to confirm , particularly if you have been outside of BC for more than 6 months.

If you must re-apply for MSP and go through the 3-month waiting period for MSP again, be sure to obtain temporary private health insurance, such as the Global Campus Health Plan, to cover you until you are covered under MSP.

Before purchasing private temporary health insurance, make sure that you will have adequate coverage as some private health insurance companies are no longer covering COVID-19 testing and treatment expenses.

Back to top

Enrolling your family

If your family members plan to reside in BC for more than six months, they may also be eligible for MSP.

If your family members arrive in BC with you within the same calendar month, you can all apply for MSP at the same time.

If your family members arrive in BC at a later date (outside of the same calendar month), use the MSP Account Change form to add them to your existing MSP.

Remember to include photocopies of every family members’ Canadian status document (such as a study permit, visitor record, or work permit) valid for six months or more in the application. Some visitors will only have an entry stamp in their passports; use this as their status document.

Also remember that your family members will need to go through the three-month waiting period and should purchase a temporary health insurance, such as the Global Campus Health Plan, for that period.

If your child is born in BC, you can add them to your MSP.

See adding or removing dependents to learn more.

Back to top

Health and wellbeing resources

Visit UBCO Health & Wellness to learn more about the health and wellbeing resources available to you. 

Back to top

International Student Guide

Find everything you need to know about life as an international student at UBC’s Okanagan campus.


Back to top

If you have questions

To confirm your eligibility and coverage, contact MSP.

For all other questions related to international health insurance, contact The Global Engagement Office.

Back to top