Travelling to Canada during COVID-19
If you’re an international student planning to come to UBC during the winter term, UBC is looking forward to you starting your journey, and is here to help.
Due to current travel restrictions, there are important steps to take before you plan your trip. It’s important for you to review the guide and understand the process and requirements before you travel.
Step 1. Check if you’re eligible to enter Canada
Not all students can travel to Canada due to current travel restrictions. Check if you can travel before making travel arrangements.
- Understand travel restrictions
- Get advice on whether to travel
- Consider alternate plans
Step 2. Before you travel to Canada
Before you travel to Canada, you must make sure you prepare the right documents and have a self-isolation plan for when you arrive.
- Gather documents supporting essential travel (Proof of enrolment, UBC travel support letter, and more)
- Confirm your health insurance coverage
Step 3. Prepare your self-isolation plan
You must self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival and submit a self-isolation plan.
- Read and follow provincial and federal guidelines for self-isolation
- Consider what you need for necessary support during your isolation
- Learn about UBC Okanagan’s self-isolation program
- Know how to get to your place of isolation from the airport
Step 4. While travelling to Canada
Make sure you bring the right documents, know what to expect at the border and follow arrival steps.
- See documentation to bring
- Learn what to pack
- Know what to expect at the airport or border
Step 5. After arriving in Canada
There are a few things you need to do as soon as you arrive in Canada.
- Get your documents in order
- Set up a temporary mailing address
- See options if you need financial support
- Learn about life in Canada