International Students

The International Student Advising team at the Global Engagement Office is here to support you throughout your entire journey.

international student laughing

Latest Update

The information below is a brief overview of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)’s policy announcements since Jan 22, 2024, and is current at the time of publication. A temporary measure is in place to stabilize the number of new study permits issued for 2 years. As policies will continue to be clarified in the coming weeks, we will update this page when more information becomes available.

  • As of Jan 22, 2024, study permit applications from outside Canada require a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL). Some students are exempt from the PAL, such as master’s degree and doctoral degree students. UBC students can now get a PAL and apply for a study permit.
  • If you are a current student, your study permit validity and study permit extension application from inside Canada will not be impacted by these changes. Plan ahead if your documents expire soon and you have travel plans. You will need a PAL if you apply for a study permit from outside Canada.  More information about how you can access a PAL will be available soon.
  • PGWP eligibility for UBC students will not be affected by the policy change.
  • As of March 19, 2024, only spouses of students in master’s degree, doctoral degree or professional degree programs are eligible for a spousal open work permit while pursuing studies. Extensions for current spousal work permits are not impacted so long as you remain eligible.
  • As of Feb 15, 2024, graduates of master’s degree programs which are 8 months or longer can apply for a 3-year PGWP if they meet eligibility for PGWP. (Graduate certificates and diplomas are not master’s degrees and thus do not qualify for this).

Review the Jan 21, 2024 backgrounderJan 22, 2024 news release  and Feb 5, 2024 notice for more details.

Last updated Mar 21, 2024 at 4:15 pm PT

FAQ for international students

Find out about immigration, work eligibility, and health insurance.

read the FAQ

GEO’s Settlement Checklist

What to do when you first arrive in British Columbia.


Before you start at UBC

Once you accept your offer, there are important steps to take.


Your guide to resources while you’re at UBC

Working while studying

Whether you’re hoping to get a part-time job or work after graduation, there are important things to know.

Information for your family

See what you need to prepare if your family is planning to visit or join you.


Understand how taxes work in Canada and get a SIN for awards and scholarships, or to work.

Planning ahead

There are important things to consider before you make any major decisions during your degree.

Immigration document support

Step-by-step tutorials

Browse the complete list of tutorials for  instructions on a range of topics, such as applying for or amending your study permit, BC Medical Services Plan, and more.


Online application reviews

Before applying, review your study permit extension, temporary resident visa, or post-graduation work permit application with an International Student Advisor.

contact an advisor

Get immigration reminders

Add your document expiry dates to the confidential BC Reminder System and get notifications for when you need to extend your documents.

Learn more

If you still have questions

Events & Workshops

See more UBC Okanagan Events


International Student Advising

International Student Advisors are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) who can help support you in your experience as a UBC international student.

Connect with an advisor

Other UBC support and resources

UBC staff are here for you throughout your studies. See resources and services for help with academics, money, health, and more.

Check out a day in the life of an international student at UBCO