Accessible housing on campus

Priority placement for on-campus housing

In some circumstances, students with a disability or medical condition may be eligible to live on campus beyond the first year or in a particular room type.

If, as a student with a disability or a chronic medical condition, you feel that you need to live on campus or you have special requirements for on-campus housing, you must apply for housing using the online application and indicate in your application that you are a student with a disability.

The following restrictions apply:

  • Your medical documentation must provide detailed information about the functional impact of your disability/chronic medical condition in relation to your request for priority access to student housing.
  • You will be asked to submit your medical documentation to the DRC to review your request.
  • In order to receive a recommendation for priority placement, you must have disability-related needs that cannot be met in off-campus housing.
  • The presence of a disability is insufficient to qualify for priority placement. Priority placement is only considered in exceptional circumstances.

How to request housing for medical or disability-related reasons:

  1. Apply for on-campus residence through UBC Okanagan Housing.
  2. Complete the DRC intake package (PDF).

If you are recommended for priority placement by the DRC, you will be offered the next suitable unit that is available.

If you have questions about priority placement, email

Course load requirements

All students intending to live on-campus must maintain a course load of at least nine credits per term. If you cannot maintain that course load for disability-related reasons, you may apply to the DRC for permission to live on-campus with a reduced course load. If you are granted permission, you must take a minimum of six credits per term, but preferably nine credits per term, to remain in on-campus housing.