Co-op work permit


As a temporary measure, some international students eligible to work off-campus can work more than 20 hours a week starting from November 15, 2022, until whichever comes first:

  • The study permit you applied for on or before October 7, 2022, expires
  • The study permit you held on October 7, 2022, expires, if you did not have a study permit application in progress on October 7, 2022
  • December 31, 2023.

Check the FAQ for details.

Immigration and Health Insurance FAQs

If you’re an international student, find out more about the impact of COVID-19 on immigration, health insurance, and more.

CO-OP Work Permit

The co-op work permit allows international students to work when the work is for credit and is integral to your program of study. A co-op work permit allows students to work full-time during regular school terms. A co-op work permit is different from authorization to work off-campus, and you may engage in both kinds of work if you meet the criteria for each.

Learn how to apply for a co-op work permit.

The information on this page may change

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.

What does “integral to your program of study” mean?

The co-op work permit is only for work that is for credit and is a required part of your academic program such as official UBC co-op work terms and practicum placements. It cannot be used for work that is not part of your official academic program of study. For example, it cannot be used for internships required by external funding organizations or for any other kind of work that is not essential to your program of study (‘essential’ means that you cannot graduate unless you complete the work term). You can read more about these requirements on the IRCC website.

If you are not sure if your work is an essential part of your academic program, consult with both your Academic Advisor and an International Student Advisor to make sure you are eligible to apply.

Why do I need it?

If you are enrolled in a co-op program, you are required to have a co-op work permit before you start your work term. Your co-op work permit will list the employer as “UBC” and will allow you to work for any authorized co-op work term. This work permit only allows you to do the job approved by your co-op program within your co-op work term.

When do I need it?

You may start your application for a co-op work permit as soon as you receive the letter from your coordinator confirming your acceptance into the co-op program at UBC.

Co-op permits and off-campus work

A co-op work permit is different from an off-campus work permit. You may simultaneously hold a co-op work permit and work off-campus if you meet the criteria for each.