Staying in Canada after graduation

Your study permit will become invalid 90 days after you complete your studies (even before your study permit expiry date) or on the expiry date of your study permit. If you plan to stay in Canada after your studies, be sure to maintain valid status in Canada.

As a worker

Want to stay in Canada to work? You have 90 days after you receive your final grades to apply for a post-graduation work permit.

As a visitor

If your study permit is going to expire and you want to stay in Canada temporarily as a visitor after you complete your studies, you need to apply for a visitor record. You can apply online or by paper from within Canada to change your immigration status to visitor. The application should be submitted no more than 90 days after program completion.

Once you switch to a visitor record, any new application for a study permit or work permit must be made outside of Canada and can be made at the Canadian Consulates in Los Angeles (study permits only), Canadian Consulate in New York (work permits only), or in a visa office that serves your country of citizenship (for both study or work permits).

You cannot apply for a post-graduation work permit after switching to a visitor record.


Some students choose to apply for permanent residency (PR) so they can remain in Canada permanently as immigrants. Most students apply after they complete their studies at UBC, although there are exceptions.

At UBC, International Student Advisors offer a limited range of immigration advice to UBC international students at no cost. We are not PR experts, and because we want you to get the best advice possible we do not advise on PR.

Refer to the following resources as a starting point:

As part of the application process, PR applicants need to prove their English proficiency. You can take the CELPIP Test at UBC’s Okanagan Campus. Visit

At UBC, International Student Advisors offer a limited range of student-related immigration advice to UBC international students and their immediate family members at no cost. Learn more about private authorized immigration representatives.

The information on this page may change

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.