Undergraduate research

Are you an undergraduate student interested in gaining research experience in an academic setting?

research, experience, microscope

There are many ways to get involved in research at UBC Okanagan.

Through undergraduate research you can:

  • enhance your studies and refine your academic or career interests
  • deepen your knowledge of an academic subject or topic
  • build experience for co-op or other employment
  • get to know potential supervisors for graduate studies
  • apply what you are learning in class
  • learn more about an industry or particular research area
  • get hands-on experience in a lab or other research setting
  • develop teamwork, presentation, project management, communication and organization skills

Access Support

UBC Okanagan’s Undergraduate Research Ambassadors have experience in research and are here to assist you in navigating the many opportunities available to you as an undergraduate student to get involved in research and build upon your academic experience.

Undergraduate Research Ambassadors can help with:

  • guidance on how to get started in your specific discipline
  • strategies for connecting with faculty members to learn about their research and potential opportunities
  • connecting to research communities on campus
  • tips for thriving as an undergraduate researcher
  • workshops, events, and resources to help you expand your research network


Undergraduate Research Ambassadors are available for appointments between September and March.


Undergraduate Research Newsletter

Join our mailing list for regular updates throughout the term and information about events and opportunities in Undergraduate Research at UBC Okanagan. The Newsletter is issued monthly to your inbox between September and March.

Sign up


Research Opportunities by Faculty

Faculties Schools and Departments are your starting point for specific information about research initiatives and opportunities in each discipline.

Visit the Research Website: https://fass.ok.ubc.ca/research/

Research Opportunities and Information by Department

Review specific research themes, institutes and labs, opportunities for undergraduate students, and awards by department.

Visit the Research Website: https://science.ok.ubc.ca/research/

Research Opportunities and Information by Department

Review specific research themes, institutes and labs, opportunities for undergraduate students, and awards by department.

Visit the research website: https://management.ok.ubc.ca/research/

Visit the research website: https://fhsd.ok.ubc.ca/research/

Research Opportunities and Information by School

Review specific research themes, institutes and labs, opportunities for undergraduate students, and awards by School.

Visit the research website: https://fccs.ok.ubc.ca/research-creation/

Visit the Research and Partnerships page to learn more about research in the Okanagan School of Education: https://education.ok.ubc.ca/research-partnerships/

  • For student awards and scholarships in the Okanagan School of Education visit Student Resources

Visit the research website: https://engineering.ok.ubc.ca/research/

Visit the Southern Medical Program research website: https://smp.med.ubc.ca/research/

See the Student Research page for research-related opportunities for students.

Research Opportunities Abroad

As a UBC student, you are eligible to get involved in research as part of your academic studies at many of UBC’s 150 partner universities through the Go Global program.

Learn More

Undergraduate Research Resources

Enroll in the self-access Canvas course developed in partnership with the Centre for Scholarly Communication.  Modules are designed to help you learn more about research opportunities at UBC Okanagan and support you through the process. Topics include approaching opportunities, time and project management, proposal and research writing, academic and scholarly integrity and more.  Click the link below to join the course and get connected.

Enroll here

Awards and Programs Supporting Undergraduate Research

There are a number of awards, programs, and funded opportunities for research at the undergraduate level at UBC Okanagan.

Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) funding is available for undergraduate students in the School of Engineering, the Irving K. Barber Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, the Irving K. Barber Faculty of Science, and the School of Health and Exercise Science within the Faculty of Health and Social Development.

For more information, visit your Faculty’s specific NSERC-URA information pages:

Receive mentorship from a UBC Okanagan faculty or staff member while participating in a paid work experience on campus. Many opportunities are research related and can complement your studies. Learn more about the application process and important deadlines here.

A variety of undergraduate research awards and opportunities are available to students through Faculties. Please see specific resources below for further details, timelines, and application processes.

The Indigenous Research Mentorship (IRM) Program is an opportunity for self-identified Indigenous undergraduate students to gain practical research and laboratory experience while working with a UBC Okanagan faculty member or post-doctoral fellow. Find further information on the Indigenous Research Mentorship Program here.

MURPH is an undergraduate research program at UBC Okanagan aimed at offering a unique cross-disciplinary platform to undergraduate students for engaging in academic research while also providing professional training through custom-designed workshops. Project teams comprising multiple undergraduate students and faculty members across different disciplines work together on applied health research projects. For more information or to check the application process, visit MURPH.

The Co-op program is open to undergraduate students in Arts, Fine Arts, Human Kinetics / Health & Exercise Sciences, Management, Media Studies and Science. Students of all skill-sets are eligible to participate in co-op and research-related work placements are possible though this program. To learn more visit Co-op.

makerspace UBCO is an interdisciplinary, peer facilitated work space designed to foster creative thinking through design and making, serving as a hub for innovation, cross-discipline collaboration and entrepreneurship. Open to all students in all disciplines, it is a space to incubate, design, prototype and fabricate ideas. Learn more through the makerspace UBCO website.

The Tuum Est Student Initiative Fund at UBC’s Okanagan campus provides financial support for student initiatives, conferences, and competitions. Learn more about the Tuum Est Student Initiative Fund here.

Learn more about a variety of undergraduate student awards through the following links:

Upcoming Events

To find out about upcoming events in Undergraduate Research, go to the campus Events Calendar and type “research” in the search menu.

Connect with an Undergraduate Research Ambassador by emailing: research.ambassadors@ubc.ca