Working on-campus


As a temporary measure, some international students eligible to work off-campus can work more than 20 hours a week starting from November 15, 2022, until whichever comes first:

  • The study permit you applied for on or before October 7, 2022, expires
  • The study permit you held on October 7, 2022, expires, if you did not have a study permit application in progress on October 7, 2022
  • December 31, 2023.

Check the FAQ for details.

Immigration and Health Insurance FAQs

If you’re an international student, find out more about the impact of COVID-19 on immigration, health insurance, and more.

What is considered “on-campus” work?

On-campus employment is defined as employment within the boundaries of the campus or in facilities owned, operated, or affiliated with UBC. For example, your employer may be the University, a student organization, or a private contractor operating within the boundaries of the campus.

Make sure you’re eligible to work on-campus

In most cases, you may work on-campus starting the first day of the term you begin at UBC, if you:

Note: Exchange students and visiting international students are eligible to work on-campus if they have a valid study permit and are full-time.
Full-time has many definitions at UBC. Review UBC’s definitions for immigration purposes.

How many hours can you work on-campus per week?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) does not limit the number of hours students are permitted to work on-campus. However, some UBC employers may restrict the hours students can work.

If you are completing your program at UBC, be sure to visit the off-campus work page for additional requirements to maintain your eligibility to work in Canada.

Benefits of working on-campus

By working on-campus, you can expand your social and professional networks, be more involved in the campus community and enhance your learning through work experiences in an academic setting. A portion of international undergraduate student tuition fees goes towards subsidizing on-campus work opportunities for eligible international students through Work Study.

The information on this page may change

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.