UBC Bursary Program
Bursaries are non-repayable awards that are designed to help fill your "unmet need," which is the gap between (1) your assessed assessed educational and living costs and (2) your available government assistance and expected financial contributions.
The UBC Bursary Program covers most bursaries available to UBC students. Please see the links (below) for several other University and government bursary programs.
Eligibility for UBC bursaries
To be considered for bursary support, you must meet these criteria:
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, landed immigrant or have refugee status
- apply for the UBC Bursary program by the deadline
- be receiving full-time Canadian government student loans in the same session you are applying for bursary support
- have your enrolment confirmed for your Canadian student loans by the bursary deadline
- have an assessed unmet financial need using the provincial need assessment calculation based on StudentAid BC policies regarding income and assets
- be enrolled in an eligible program studying in a full-time course load
Your student loans must be confirmed by the bursary deadline to be eligible for UBC bursaries. To make sure you meet this deadline, we strongly recommend that you apply by July 15 for Winter Session and March 31 for Summer Session bursaries.
Applying for a UBC bursary
How to apply
You must apply to the bursary program to be considered. You can apply on the Student Service Centre (SSC).
Winter bursary application dates
- Opens August 15
- Deadline September 15
Summer bursary application dates
- Opens May 1
- Deadline June 1
How bursaries are calculated
- Your unmet need is determined by using the provincial need assessment calculation based on StudentAidBC policies
- The unmet need of other bursary applicants
- The eligibility of your program and the bursary funding available for your program, as mandated by Policy 72 – Access to University of British Columbia
- Students in Non-Degree Studies (Unclassified, Qualifying, Access, Visiting) are not eligible for bursary funding
Accepting your offer
We will notify bursary recipients at the email address they provide on the SSC. Double check that your email address is current and that UBC is on your safe sender list.
We will update your SSC account with an offer letter outlining your bursary amount and disbursement dates.
You must accept your offer(s) on the SSC in the Finances section. Your funding will not be disbursed until you have accepted.
Changes to your financial situation
- If you are facing an unexpected financial emergency or have had a significant change to your financial situation, we may be able to help.
- If you have been awarded a bursary and have recently come into additional resources not reported on your bursary application, you must report this to Student Services.
Last reviewed 5/3/2017 3:42:22 PM