You’ve done all the research and are ready to take the plunge. This section will provide you with all the info you need to put together your application.
- Search and narrow down the three university partners that you would like to attend.
- Apply to Go Global with your three choices ranked in order of preference to attend.
- After you’re accepted to Go Global, you’ll get an email (six to eight weeks from the deadline date) that nominates you to apply directly to the university that you were matched to.
Start the application process well in advance of the application deadline, but review the eligibility criteria before starting an application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Undergraduate students can start an online application and follow the steps through “Gateway”, our online application program. In Gateway, you’ll be asked to submit a list of supporting documents. If you’ve already started an application through Gateway, you can resume your application from where you left off at any time.
- Applied Science students should select “-CIE” where available (i.e. University of Glasgow-CIE), otherwise select the “-UniWide” option
- The Go Global fee ($415.00) can be paid through the Student Service Centre (SSC). The fee will not be posted until after the Go Global deadline has passed.
- Complete and submit supporting documents (i.e. Proposed Study Plan – see Supporting Documents page) by the application deadline.
Statement of Interest (Updated for 2022-23 applications)
Applicants are required to write one statement of interest within the Gateway application. Students are asked to complete a short statement (approx. 450 words) to consider the following questions (there is no particular format required for the statement):
- Why do you want to study abroad at the three universities you selected?
- How might this program contribute to your personal, academic and career goals?
- How might this experience contribute to your understanding of global issues at a local and global level?
Round 2 applications are now OPEN for Term 2 or Split Year exchanges only (programs commencing ~January 2024). Please see the list of available schools below.
For studies in the 2023-24 academic year
Application Status – OPEN
Round 2 applications are currently being accepted! Please apply by the Round 2 deadline listed below.
Go Global has two deadlines each year for Winter Session programs:
Round 1: December 13, 2022
- Round 1 applications allow for Term 1, Term 2, Full Year, and Split Year* applications
- All of our partner schools are available during this round
Round 2: May 4, 2023 @ 11:59PM PST
- Round 2 applications only allow for Term 2 and Split Year* applications
- Only those partner schools that did not fill during Round 1 are available
- The list of partner schools available for this round are posted to our Exchange page by early March each year
*Split Year dates are approximately February – November (Term 2 of one winter session, Term 1 of the next)
Go Global fee
The Go Global Fee ($415.00) will be posted to the Student Service Centre (SSC) after the application deadline and will be posted to your tuition account 1-2 weeks after the application deadline has passed and will be due by the 7th of the following month (e.g. fee posted December 16th, due January 7th). You will be contacted by Go Global once the fee has been posted to your SSC, provided with the fee deadline, and prompted to make the payment. Payment of this fee is made through the SSC. Once your fee is posted to the SSC account the methods available to make payment are the same as for your normal tuition payments.
Please ensure you review our Refund & Withdrawal policies.
Use the documents below to complete an online application to the Go Global exchange program.
Primary Supporting Documents
|Supporting documents||Required for||Notes|
|Proposed study plan (PDF)||All students||Must be completed for all three choices. Make sure to pay attention to prerequisites, language of instruction, and restrictions.|
|CIE Study Plan (.doc)||Applied Science Students||Applied Science students whose top choice is a CIE experience (Coordinated International Experience) must complete this document for your first choice signed by the appropriate advisor in APSC.|
|Interim grade form (PDF)||Students currently taking full-year courses at UBC||Full-year courses are 6-credit courses running September to April.|
|Language proficiency assessment (PDF)||Students planning to take any courses taught in a foreign language at the partner university (excluding language courses).|
|Online Chinese placement exam||Students doing coursework in any Chinese dialect for UBC CHIN transfer credit.|
|Graduate student authorization form (docx)||Graduate students||Graduate students must have the support of their graduate program advisor and their supervisor.|
Other Helpful Documents
|Application Checklist (doc)||Optional, only for student references|
|Budget worksheet (xlsx)||Optional, but recommended for all students|
|Go Global timeline (PDF)||For reference only, for all students||An outline of when important dates for all Go Global programs fall within the academic year.|
|Cheque forwarding request form (PDF)||Some students||Enable awards and other funds to be forwarded to the address listed in the SISC while you are studying off campus.|
|Third-party pick-up form (PDF)||Some students||Enables a third party to pick up documents at UBC on your behalf.|