Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you're going to work in Canada, you will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number. 

What is a Social Insurance Number?

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. You should apply for a SIN if you plan to work in Canada. Be sure you understand the eligibility requirements to work on campus and off campus.

How do I get it?

You  apply in person at a Service Canada Centre for a SIN. Be sure to take the required documents, which are described in detail below.

Where do I get it?  

471 Queensway Avenue, Suite 106, Kelowna BC

What documents do I need?  

* During the continued transition period, please come to our office in the Fipke building or email us for specific questions.

Take one of the following documents when you apply:

  • a study permit that states you “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada, OR
  • a study permit and a “confirmation to work off campus” letter issued by CIC prior to February 6, 2015, OR
  • a work permit (e.g. co-op, post-graduation, or spouse/partner work permit)

If you are eligible to work in Canada as a student but you do not have one of the documents listed above, you must (1) get a corrected study permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada, then (2) take your new study permit in person to a Service Canada office. To get a corrected study permit, do one of the following:

  • If you switched from a program of study (which did not allow you to work off-campus) to a new program of study (which does allow you to work off-campus) AND your study permit states "This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada," change the conditions of your study permit ($150 fee). Check the processing time here.
  • Otherwise, amend your study permit (free). Read the document checklist carefully and include all necessary documents, including an up-to-date enrollment letter. We suggest you mail the application to Ottawa using a secure mailing method, such as Canada Post Xpresspost. Check the processing time here.

Keeping your SIN valid

Make sure you keep your SIN valid by renewing your SIN each time you extend your temporary residency in Canada (for example, when you extend your study permit or get a post-graduation work permit).

To extend or amend your SIN, follow the same application instructions.

Last reviewed shim4/13/2015 1:45:19 PM