Resumes, Cover Letters, and Interview Tips
It's time to sharpen your tools and begin your job search.
Job Search Start: Strategies
- Cover Letter Workshop
Information on what a cover letter is, how to organize and format it, and what to include.
- Resume Guide - Part one, overview of structure and style
- Boost your Bullets - Part two, choosing words and statements that best promote your accomplishments. Format style eg--
Choose a key action word Describe what you did What was the positive result (because of what you did)? Developed new forms to track transactions which significantly improved efficiency and ensured consistency in our records and reports.
Video on how to write these accomplishment "bullets" on your resume. Video features ideas for your unpaid experience as well!
- Excellent UBC video tutorials on how to write your resume (and CV); see additional topics and sample documents
- What about a CV? Here is a resource showing ideas of section headings etc. for academic applications
- Rebecca Smith's e-resumés & Resources
A guide to prepare an electronic resumé. It includes a resumé-building guide and job search resources, including a virtual resumé gallery, links to networking forums, meta-research tools, and links to post resumés.
- Comprehensive university resume tutorial giving many tips for writing an effective resume. The details are in this one!
- Portfolio Library
Includes sample portfolios and articles on creating, designing, and using them.
- Portfolio Preparation Guide
A guide to creating professional portfolio. It provides information on why you should have one, what to include in it, how to organize it, how to format it, and how to use it during an interview.
- University of Victoria portfolio guide
The Career Centre's Key Resources
- Interview Guide
- Behaviour-Based Interviews
- How to ace the toughest questions
- More tips on how to shine with typical questions
- How to prepare for Skype and Video Interviews
- Carleton University's excellent slide show with narration -- great tips! (you may need to click on #1 in Outline to start)
- Interview Cheat Sheet
A useful outline of key points likely to come up during your interview.
- Interview Network
This site includes useful interview resource links. It also provides job specific interview questions.