Staying in Canada after Graduation for international students


Staying in Canada

Your study permit will become invalid 90 days after you complete your studies (even before your study permit expiry date) or on the expiry date of your study permit. If you plan to stay in Canada after your studies, be sure to maintain valid status in Canada.


As a worker

Want to stay in Canada to work? You have 90 days after you receive your final grades to apply for a post-graduation work permit


As a visitor

If your study permit is going to expire and you want to stay in Canada temporarily as a visitor after you complete your studies, you need to apply for a visitor record. You can apply online or by paper from within Canada to change your immigration status to visitor. The application should be submitted no more than 90 days after program completion.

Once you switch to a visitor record, any new application for a study permit or work permit must be made outside of Canada and can be made at the Canadian Consulates in Los Angeles (study permits only), Canadian Consulate in New York (work permits only), or in a visa office that serves your country of citizenship (for both study or work permits).

You cannot apply for a post-graduation work permit after switching to a visitor record.



Some students choose to apply for permanent residency (PR) so they can remain in Canada permanently as immigrants. Most students apply after they complete their studies at UBC, although there are exceptions.

At UBC, International Student Advisors offer a limited range of immigration advice to UBC international students at no cost. We are not PR experts, and because we want you to get the best advice possible we do not advise on PR.

Refer to the following resources as a starting point:


Permanent Residency Pathways for International Students August 24 2016.pdf

BC PNP Presentation to UBC students June 12 2017.pdf

Pathways to Permanent Residence June 12 2017.pdf

Finding an Authorized Immigration Representative


At UBC, International Student Advisors offer a limited range of student-related immigration advice to UBC international students and their immediate family members at no cost. Use this tutorial for guidance on how to hire a private authorized immigration representative if needed.




Last reviewed shim6/5/2018 11:08:13 AM