Experiential Learning Opportunities
Get Involved! Get experience! Make a difference!
The Advising and Involvement Centre at UBC's Okanagan campus provides you with a space to get involved in a lot of different ways.
How can I get involved?
You can get involved on campus or off campus, and you can sign up for short term (1 day) or a longer term commitment. There are a lot of ideas that we can give you or you can bring us your ideas and we'll help you make them happen!
What can you gain by giving?
Just some of the skills and benefits of getting involved:
- develop valuable workplace skills (leadership, communication, team building, etc.)
- develop a new skill or discover a new talent
- gain relevant work experience
- build a great resume
- develop a network and employment contacts that may help you in your future career
- provide professional references
- make an impact on your campus & community
Do you want to get involved?
If you are interested in getting involved, drop by UNC 207 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In Canada, volunteering is highly valued. Many people volunteer at social service, arts, culture, recreation, education, research, and religious organizations. When you volunteer, you gain work-related skills, give back to the community, share your culture, and meet others who share your interests.
Volunteering on Campus
There are many on-campus volunteer opportunities. Visit the websites below for more information.
There are many more volunteer opportunities at UBC's Okanagan campus. Please contact an international student advisor for more information.
Volunteering Off Campus
International students are permitted to volunteer off campus without a work permit as long as the volunteer activity cannot be considered work. CIC defines work as “an activity for which wages or commission is earned, or that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian Labour Market.”
Places to look for off-campus volunteer opportunities within Kelowna include:
- Volunteer Kelowna: this service matches volunteers with non-profit organizations. Visit http://www.kcr.ca/page/volunteer and search their database for opportunities.
- www.relocatecanada.com/kelowna/vol.html provides a list of websites for people wishing to volunteer in Kelowna
- http://kelowna.cioc.ca/volunteer provides a list of volunteer opportunities available in Kelowna.
Last reviewed 12/16/2014 9:31:29 AM