Sexual & reproductive health
Sexual health is an integral part of an individual’s health. Sexual health includes:
- our physical health
- our perception of our sexual self
- body image
- cultural and personal understandings of sex
- social attitudes towards sex
- our relationships with others
Like other aspects of our health and wellbeing, having knowledge and understanding about sexual health creates opportunities for us to lead healthy lives.
The Health and Wellness team provides sexual health information, sexual counselling, pregnancy testing, PAP screening, sexual health supplies (e.g. condoms) and testing for sexual transmitted infections (STI Screening).
We assist students to talk comfortably about sex and to navigate their sexual relationships. Many people struggle with finding the words to use when talking about sex and sexual relationships. We are trained to be sensitive listeners and to help students ask for what they need.
Refer to the Sexual Violence Prevention & Response Office for information and resources about sexual assault.
- Education about all methods of contraception
- Consultations for IUD by gynecologist on campus (Dr. R. Leon)
- Prescriptions for all types of contraception
- Emergency contraception available to purchase at Health & Wellness
- Female/male condom, latex dam, and lube supplies
- Pregnancy testing
- Counselling support for pregnancy options
- Referrals to community supports
- Cervical cancer screening (Pap Test) is a test that can find abnormal cells in the cervix before they become cancer. PAP screens are at no charge and can be done by a female healthcare provider in the clinic. All women age 25 to 69 should be screened every three years if PAP results are normal.
- Often cervical cancer does not have any noticeable symptoms. Symptoms that do appear may include: abnormal vaginal bleeding (such as bleeding between periods, bleeding during/after sex); abnormal or persistent vaginal discharge, and/or pelvic pain or pain during sexual intercourse. For detailed information, visit BC Cancer Agency Cervix Screening.