UBC Student Assistance Program (SAP)
What is the UBC Student Assistance Program?
Offered by Aspiria, the UBC Student Assistance Program (SAP) is a free, 24/7 wellness resource for students. Services include personal counselling, life coaching, group programs and more based on your needs.
UBC SAP can help you with a wide range of concerns to support your mental, emotional, physical and financial health including:
- Academic stress
- Time management
- Coping with change
- Personal issues
- Legal issues
- Managing debt
- Home buying or renting
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- Stress and anxiety
- Crisis, grief, trauma
- Fitness, nutrition, sleep
Top reasons to access the service
- Available 24/7
- Choice of phone, video, or face to face (where available)
- Confidential and safe space to discuss your concerns
- Offered in multiple languages
- Directs you to wellness and counselling resources based on your needs
How it works
- Access the service through phone or the website.
- You will be greeted by a registered intake counsellor, who will ask you for your contact information.
- The intake counsellor will then ask some details about what you’re experiencing and the kind of support you are looking for and recommend the best course of action. You will be able to choose the approach for your appointment: by phone, video, or face-to-face, where available.
If you’re in immediate need of help, the intake counsellor can provide “in the moment support”.
If you do not need immediate help, you will be referred to a professional in your area who will contact you within 1 – 2 business days to book an appointment.
Accessing the service
The UBC Student Assistance Program is available 24/7 and free for all registered UBC students. There are several methods to access the service.
- If you’re within North America, call toll-free 1 833 590 1328.
- If you’re outside of North America, call collect 1 604 757 9734.
Sign up for an account in the Aspiria platform by using ubcoc for the access code.
On the website, you can explore resources, complete self-assessments, participate in soft-skills courses, and attend webinars. Your participation in activities and bookmarked resources will be saved in your profile in the top right corner.
You can also connect with a counsellor by submitting an online request through the website. You’ll receive a response in 1 – 2 business days. For immediate support, please call the toll-free number above.
By mobile app
The app offers many different services:
- Click on “My Therapist” to submit an online request for a referral to counselling. A counsellor will respond within 1 – 2 business days.
- Select “Care Team” to chat with a counsellor for any questions.
- Use the “Digital Coach” to browse self-help resources online.