UBC Student Assistance Program (SAP)
What is the UBC Student Assistance Program?
Offered by Aspiria, the UBC Student Assistance Program (SAP) is a free, 24/7 wellness resource for students. Services include personal counselling, life coaching, group programs and more, based on your needs. How to access the Student Assistance Program.
UBC SAP can help you with a wide range of concerns to support your mental, emotional, physical and financial health, including:
- Academic stress
- Time management
- Coping with change
- Personal issues
- Legal issues
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- Stress and anxiety
- Crisis, grief, trauma
- Fitness, nutrition, sleep
- Managing debt
- Home buying or renting
UBC Vancouver students
If you’re a UBC Vancouver student, see the Vancouver campus Student Assistance Program
Faculty and staff
UBC faculty and staff can access the UBC Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
Top reasons to access the service
- Available 24/7
- Choice of phone, video, face to face (where available), and instant messaging or chat counselling
- Confidential and safe space to discuss your concerns
- Offered in multiple languages
- Directs you to wellness and counselling resources based on your needs
How it works
- Access the service through phone, text, mobile app, or live chat on the website.
- You will be greeted by a registered intake counsellor, who will ask you for your contact information.
- The intake counsellor will then ask some details about what you’re experiencing and the kind of support you are looking for and recommend a course of action. You will be able to choose the approach for your appointment: by phone, video, face-to-face (where available), or instant messaging or chat counselling.
If you’re in immediate need of help, the intake counsellor can provide “in the moment support”.
If you do not need immediate help, you will be referred to a professional in your area who will contact you within 1 – 2 business days to book an appointment.
The UBC Student Assistance Program is available 24/7 and free for all registered UBC students. There are several methods to access the service.
- If you’re within North America, call toll-free 1 833 590 1328.
- If you’re outside of North America, call collect 1 604 757 9734.
Log in to the Aspiria website by using UBCO for both the student code and password. Here, you can connect with a counsellor by:
- Clicking on the “Live connect online” button at the top right to start an instant messaging chat session.
- Clicking on the “Contact a counsellor” link at the bottom right to request that a counsellor contact you directly. All inquiries will be responded to within two hours.
By mobile app
After downloading iConnectYou, you will be asked to enter your name, email, personal password, as well as a “Company Passcode” (use UBCO). Also make sure you enter the correct time zone.
Once the iConnectYou app is downloaded to your phone, you can connect with a counsellor by:
- Clicking on the “SMS” feature to communicate with a counsellor via text messaging
- Accessing the “Video Call” to connect directly with a counsellor
- Clicking on the “IM Chat” feature to chat with a counsellor
- Using the “Call” feature to speak directly to a counsellor