All new-to-UBCO students (including transfer and mature students) are automatically provided access to Peer Mentor services.
Peer Mentors are seasoned, upper year students who are UBC Okanagan campus experts. Your peer mentor is your first point of connection and is here to answer all your questions, refer you to campus resources, and help you enhance your study skills for the university environment.
Your Peer Mentor will also help you connect with other students and find community by keeping you in the loop about upcoming events and opportunities.
All new students are automatically enrolled in the Peer Mentor Access Hub on Canvas.
To view the Access Hub, login to Canvas with your Campus Wide Login (CWL) and view your Dashboard. Find Peer Mentor Access Hub 2021/2022 and click to enter and connect with your UBC Okanagan Community.
(Hint: if you do not see the course on your Dashboard, check under “All Courses” and make sure that the course has an orange star next to its name)
Meet the Peer Mentors
Read a little bit about our amazing team of Peer Mentors and get inspired by their stories. You might find someone who is enrolled in the same degree program as you, has similar hobbies, is from the same country, or shares similar or professional goals. During the school year, when you see the mentors around campus, don’t be afraid to say hello!
Interested in connecting with someone specific?
All new students have been automatically assigned a Peer Mentor to connect with throughout the summer and school year, but if there is another Peer Mentor’s community that you would like to be a part of, contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can make that change for you.
Not a new-to-UBCO student, but want a Peer Mentor?
No problem! Anyone who would like a mentor is welcome to submit a request to join the Peer Mentor Access Hub.
Your Peer Mentor will be one of the first faces you meet and will continue to support you until the end of your first year at UBCO. Starting in June, your Peer Mentor will be involved in your orientation experience and offer information, guidance, and resources to smooth your transition to university.
Your Peer Mentor is on hand to help with:
- Making friends, building community, and improving study skills
- Questions about how to prepare for the new school year
- Tips, tricks, and helpful hints they’ve learned as a student
- Sharing upcoming events and opportunities for involvement at UBCO
- Finding the right resource or support service whenever you need help, face a challenge, or want to learn about opportunities for growth
- Developing skills in time management, procrastination, motivation, exam preparation, textbook reading, note taking, and more!
- Opportunities to set, meet, evaluate and achieve academic goals
Peer Mentors may request help from you to better support their mentees—and in turn, Peer Mentors are available to support you with:
Peer mentors are highly motivated and trained student leaders whose roles allow them to learn from their upper-year peers and their new-to-UBC mentees.
Peer mentors may be available to support you with your special events or programs during the year. Please contact us for inquiries.
We look forward to working together with you to provide an exceptional experience for the entire campus community.
Looking to refer a student?
If you know a student who would benefit from connecting with a peer mentor, contact us.
We want to hear from you!
Did you have a great experience? Support not available when you need it?
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com
We can’t do what we do without great student staff. If you want to work in the Hub you should be in the second, third, or fourth year of an undergraduate degree program. Interested applicants must demonstrate:
- A high level of academic achievement, combined with excellent writing and communication skills
- The ability to clearly and concisely explain concepts to their peers
- Excellent communication skills and a friendly and positive attitude
- A desire to provide guidance and help others learn
Although we generally recruit staff in early spring via the UBC Okanagan Job Board, you are welcome to connect with us about your interest at any time. Check the UBCO Job Board regularly to view any current postings.