Society of Scholars
The Society of Scholars is a community created by and for the winners of selected UBC Okanagan scholarships. Our Scholars are some of our most talented students, demonstrating promise prior to their UBC Okanagan experience. The Society of Scholars program fosters this promise to ensure that our Scholars are engaged, supported, and provided a platform to thrive throughout their studies.
Students who qualify for the program will be contacted in July and August.
As the criteria for many of the awards required to qualify for the SOS require the Scholars to demonstrate excellence in academics, leadership, community involvement, and intellectual aptitude, the program has been developed to further these elements for our Scholars as they study at UBC’s Okanagan campus.
Scholars participating in the program will have the opportunity to engage with one another, mentors, community members, and campus partners in a variety of settings including peer-mentorship groups, workshops and presentations, events and activities, leadership conferences, and informal gatherings.
- To build a culture of support for our Scholars
- To foster a sense of belonging for our Scholars
- To create program affiliation for our Scholars
- To ensure an exceptional university experience for our Scholars
Personal and community development
Opportunities to learn more about self, engage in involvement activities and enhanced educational experiences.
Student engagement, mentoring, taking initiative, and integrated learning.
Research, program affiliation, and sense of belonging.
Intercultural understanding and international engagement.
Networking and careers
Career understanding, innovation and entrepreneurship, skill-building, employability, building connections, and alumni relationships
Society of Scholars participants have the following ways of interacting with the Society of Scholars:
- Explore events, activities, and opportunities through bi-weekly Society of Scholars newsletters.
- Learn new skills and develop strengths through leadership retreats and tailored workshops.
- Build community and develop your network at social events and mixers hosted by and for the Society of Scholars participants.
- Shape the SOS experience by joining the Society of Scholars Advisory Committee.
The Society of Scholars appreciates support from alumni, current students, faculty, and staff. If you would like to be involved with the Society of Scholars as a volunteer, contact us:
Student Experience Office, UNC 329