Counselling at UBC Okanagan
Counsellors provide a space for you to examine and explore behaviors, relationships, feelings or thoughts which cause you concern or challenges in your life. Whether these problems are primarily impacting your personal, social, or academic life, counsellors can help to strengthen your ability to cope and meanwhile provide a valuable source of support.
When might you seek counselling?
Watch this short video prepared by our Health and Wellness team to help you decide if and when you might want to speak to a counsellor.View emergency info, hours, and location
What can you expect in our short-term counselling model?
- Health and Wellness counsellors work collaboratively with students to develop appropriate treatment plans. Typically, students require 2 to 3 sessions to achieve their goals; however, the counsellor and the student will regularly review progress to determine if and when additional sessions would be beneficial.
- Counselling sessions are scheduled for up to 50 minutes, with the first session focused on initial assessment and treatment planning usually being slightly shorter. Students are encouraged to prepare for the first session by identifying their strengths, challenges, and goals beforehand.
- If long-term or ongoing counselling is recommended, particularly if students have pre-existing mental health concerns, counsellors will work with students to determine resources and options in the local community.
Book an Appointment
To book an appointment with a counsellor, call 250 807 9270, noting possible cancellation fees if you need to reschedule.
If you're experiencing a crisis during our regular office hours, please call 250 807 9270 or come to UNC 337.
If our office is closed, call UBCO security at their emergency number of 250 807 8111.
If you have experienced a sexual assault, please refer to these resources.
If you have concerns about a drug overdose and would like to learn about prevention, please refer to these tips and resources.
- Health and Wellness 250 807 9270 (Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm)
- Security 250 807 8111 (emergency)
- Security 250 807 9236 (non emergency)
- 24 Hour Crisis line 1 800 784 2433
(1 800 SUICIDE)
- Emergency Services 911
- 24 Hour Nurses Help Line 811
Last reviewed 9/22/2016 10:05:28 AM