Terms & conditions

The Work Study office will provide support and guidance to both employers and students to maximize the success of the Work Study experience. Work Study will provide tools, templates, resources, and support for both students and supervisors throughout the work term.

These will include: job offer letter template, on-boarding checklist, performance review templates, site visits, half-way reporting on hours, and timely information.


To formally accept Work Study funding, approved supervisors must read and accept the terms and conditions outlined below:

Supervisor responsibilities

Supervisors must:

  • Know and understand the student eligibility requirements and parameters of the Work Study program;
  • Ensure that the student(s) work the correct number of hours and are paid on time from an authorized UBC Worktag;
  • Engage in fair and equitable hiring practices;
  • Provide students with an offer of employment letter (template provided by Work Study office);
  • Ensure students are properly oriented and on-boarded to the workplace;
  • Create an environment with the best possible conditions for learning, researching, and working and one that is dedicated to excellence, equity, and mutual respect (UBC Respectful Environment Statement (PDF), 2008);
  • Provide a working environment where students feel like valued members of a team and have opportunities to interact with faculty members, industry professionals, staff, and student peers on a regular basis;
  • Provide a flexible work environment where students’ focus remains on studies first;
  • Conduct a mid-point and end of term performance evaluation with the student to assist the student in developing a robust set of professional skills through their work experience (templates provided by the Work Study Program to support this process).


Supervisors must:

  • Provide reciprocal support to the Work Study program through;
    • participating on the Steering or Evaluation Committees;
    • providing a testimonial for the Work Study Program;
    • granting permission for your successful application to be used as a resource for future applicants.
  • Acknowledge the support of the Work Study Program in communications and publications featuring Work Study students or proposals funded by the Work Study Program;
  • Complete evaluations requested by Work Study office.

Financial guidelines

  • Work Study provides a flat rate subsidy of 80% of BC’s minimum wage. Supervisors are responsible for the remaining 20% plus 14% employer paid benefit expenses (CPP, EI, etc) and any discretionary top-up. These expenses will not be reimbursed;
  • Hours worked in excess of approvals will not be reimbursed;
  • Hours worked in excess of student maximums will not be reimbursed;
  • Hours must be submitted by final pay period for each session (summer and winter) to be eligible for reimbursement;
  • Work Study will reimburse departments at 80% of BC’s minimum wage rate for student hours worked on a monthly basis;


  • Work Study funds cannot be used for any purpose other than those outlined in the approved proposal;
  • Approved proposals may be selected for a site visit and interview by the Work Study office;
  • Supervisor names and proposal titles will be included in the Work Study annual report;
  • Hiring deadlines for summer and winter must be met or funding will be reallocated to wait-listed proposals;
  • Approved hours are not transferable between summer and winter sessions;
  • Work Study funding is only available to UBC Okanagan faculty and staff;
  • Supervisors may hire as many students as is deemed appropriate to meet the needs of the approved proposal;
  • Supervisors may re-hire if the original employment relationship is terminated or otherwise unsatisfactory in meeting the needs of the approved proposal.