Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

If you're from a visa-required country, you will need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada. Find out what it is, when you need it and how you get it.

What is it?

Depending on your citizenship, you may require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada. This document is also called a TRV or an entry visa. A TRV is different from a study permit: it is used to enter Canada, while a study permit allows you to remain in Canada. TRVs are often issued for the same length of time as the study permit. If you have a study permit, a TRV is not needed while inside Canada, but it is a good idea to keep a valid TRV in case of sudden trips abroad. 

If you are coming to Canada as a visitor (not on a study or work permit), your valid TRV will allow you to travel to  Canada and if admitted, remain in the country as a visitor for up to six months, if you meet other requirements such as criminal, medical and financial matters.

There are two kinds of TRVs: single- and multiple-entry.

  • single-entry visa allows you to enter Canada only one time. Once you have left Canada, excluding travel to the United States and St. Pierre and Miquelon, you will need a new visa to travel back to and enter Canada.
  • multiple-entry visa lets you enter and leave Canada repeatedly while it is valid. You must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry date on your visa.

Both single-entry and multiple-entry TRVs are valid for a fixed period and cannot be used after they expire.

Do I need it?

Not everyone requires a TRV. Citizens of visa-exempt countries do not require a TRV to travel to Canada as a temporary resident (visitor, student, or temporary worker). Check the IRCC website  to see if you need a valid TRV to travel to Canada. 

When do I need it?

If you require a valid TRV to travel to Canada, you must apply for it well in advance. If your TRV has expired, but you hold a valid study permit in Canada, you can apply for a new TRV valid up until the expiration date of your study permit. Be cautious about booking travel plans before you receive your TRV.

When you apply for an initial study permit, you do not need to apply separately for a TRV. If your study permit is approved and a TRV is required, you will be issued a TRV along with your study permit.

Visitors: You or your family members may be in Canada as visitors (without study or work permits). Visitors currently in Canada can only apply for a new TRV through the Canadian visa office responsible for your home region.

Where do I send my application?

Which Canadian visa processing office you send your application and supporting documents to will depend on where you are:

  • If you are currently in Canada with a valid study or work permit, you must only apply for a new TRV through the IRCC Case Processing Pilot office in Ottawa, Ontario.
  • For more information for on how to apply for a TRV application from within Canada please click here
  • If you are currently outside of Canada, you should apply through the nearest Canadian visa office outside of Canada. Please note that the requirements for applications may vary from one office to another

Last reviewed shim6/5/2018 10:38:15 AM

A TRV is a stamp/counterfoil that is affixed to your passport

If you are in Canada on a study permit or work permit and your only destination outside Canada is the United States and St. Pierre and Miquelon, you do not need a valid TRV to return to Canada.  A valid study or work permit and UBC proof of enrollment will be sufficient if you still meet other requirements such as criminal, medical and financial matters.