Sending your student to university is a major event. As a parent, guardian, or family member, you should know that UBC’s Okanagan campus has systems and resources in place to promote your student’s academic and social development and ensure their health and safety.
Parent Conference is a fun, informative, and constructive introduction to our campus resources and a great way to explore support strategies for your student’s success.
Each year, we finetune our presentation offerings and our schedule based on feedback from our participants.
For your convenience, we offer two Parent Conference sessions to best align with your students’ arrival on campus. You do not need to attend both conferences — choose the date that works best for you.
What to expect
Attend Parent Conference to:
- Receive the most up-to-date information on resources for your student including upcoming initiatives for the new year
- Meet the team: UBC staff who will be available to your students over the course of their academic career
- Feel more connected to the university as a parent or guardian
- Receive helpful tips and strategies for supporting your student, from near or afar
Who can attend
Sessions will be tailored to suit the needs and perspectives of parents/guardians, but any family member who will be supporting a new-to-UBC student is welcome to join us.
Your student does not need to attend Parent Conference as they will be well informed about the programs and resources available to them through their own new student orientation programs.
Other things to do while you’re on campus
Since Parent Conference is just a partial-day event, you will have some time to explore campus with your student and get some things checked off your to-do list. Many services, offices, and food outlets are open to welcome you and your student.
Consider these options…
- Sort out finances and Third Party Authorization at the Student Services desk in the University Centre
- Pick up textbooks at either the UBC or UBCSUO Green Text bookstores
- Set up Pay for Print
- Purchase a membership to the Hangar or for group fitness at the Gym
- Get a coffee, snack, or bite to eat on-campus
Can I bring my Dog to parent conference?
Although dogs are a part of our families, we suggest that you leave your pets at home or in the care of someone you trust. If you have traveled to Kelowna with your student and brought your pet with you, you may consider boarding your pet for the day at a local dog daycare.
Local dog daycare Bark n’ Fly typically offers a special UBCO Move-In Day discounted price on for their daycare services and special extended hours to accommodate those attending Parent Conference.
Note: All those interested in taking their dogs to Bark n’ Fly must bring proof of current vaccinations for Distemper, Parvovirus, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza (typically in one combined vaccine called DA2PP), and Bordetella (kennel cough). Dogs over the age of 10 years require only the Bordetella vaccination. Questions can be directed Bark n’ Fly at 250 765 8100 or email@example.com.
Of course, service dogs are welcome to accompany you.
Please contact us if you have any questions about your pet.