The Food Exchange is for emergency supplies for students in need. All you do is leave your non-perishable donations on the shelf or pick up what you need. It’s that simple.
The Food Exchange accepts donations of non-perishable (and some perishable) foods and makes them available to those who need them – for free! The Food Exchange is open to everyone at UBC’s Okanagan campus. Our Food Exchange volunteer team stocks the shelf regularly with items for our student users. In addition to students being able to access food items on our shelf, we offer an Everyday Hamper program and in December we offer a Holiday Hamper.
Location: 3rd floor of the University Centre (UNC) beside Health & Wellness
Food hamper program
In addition to students being able to access food items on our shelf, we offer both a food hamper program. A hamper offers those in need a box of delicious and healthy options to help make meals over a longer period of time. Completed request forms can be dropped off to the Student Experience Office, UNC 329. The Food Exchange tries to complete requests within 5 business days. Hampers can be picked up from the Student Experience Office, UNC 329 weekdays between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Click here to download the hamper application form (PDF). For more information, to submit the form via email, or if you have questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can drop off non-perishable donations any time to the Food Exchange shelf and refrigerator or to the Student Experience Office, UNC 329. The healthier the better!
Any donation is appreciated, but we always need more:
- Lean protein sources such as canned tuna, turkey, chicken, and salmon
- Vegetarian-friendly protein sources such as peanut and almond butter
- Staples for making meals such as rice, pasta, pasta sauce, vegetable oil, salt/pepper, and flour
- Breakfast items such as cereals, oatmeal, cream of wheat, juice, and fruit bars
- Personal hygiene items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, and conditioner
We do accept perishable items in our Food Exchange refrigerator located beside the Food Exchange shelf. The best perishable donations include:
- Produce, such as apples, oranges, potatoes, carrots, and other long-lasting vegetables and fruits
- Breads and buns that can be stored in the freezer
If you, your club, or someone you know would like to donate more than a few items or would like to do a food drive for the Food Exchange, please contact the Food Exchange volunteer team. We’d love your help!