Travelling to Canada during COVID-19
If you’re an international student planning to come to UBC, we are here to help.
There are important steps to take before you plan your trip. It’s important for you to review the guide and understand the process and requirements before you travel.
Step 1. Check if you’re eligible to enter Canada
Check if you can travel before making travel arrangements. Not all students can travel to Canada.
- Understand what travel documents are required
- Get advice on whether you should travel
- Learn how the travel restrictions may impact you
- Consider when to travel
Step 2. Before you travel to Canada
Before you travel to Canada, you must make sure you prepare the right documents and have a quarantine plan for when you arrive.
- Gather documents supporting essential travel (proof of enrolment)
- Get a COVID-19 test (for unvaccinated travellers only)
- Get a new medical exam, if required
- Confirm your health insurance coverage
Step 3. Complete ArriveCAN
All travellers must submit their information through ArriveCAN. If you are not fully vaccinated, you must self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival and submit a self-isolation plan.
- Submit your personal details and quarantine plan (if required) through the ArriveCAN app (mandatory for all travellers).
- Prepare a quarantine plan, if required.
Step 4. While you travel to Canada
Make sure you bring the right documents, know what to expect at the airport or border, and follow arrival steps.
- See the documentation to bring.
- Learn what to pack.
- Know what to expect at the airport or border and ensure your study permit has conditions to work
- Get a COVID-19 test on arrival (if you are fully vaccinated you may be randomly selected to do so).
- Collect your day 8 COVID-19 test kit (for unvaccinated travellers only).
Step 5. After arriving in Canada
There are a few things you need to do as soon as you arrive in Canada.
- Follow your quarantine plan, if applicable
- Complete the take-home COVID-19 test kit on day 8 (for unvaccinated travellers only)
- Apply for MSP and check that you have iMED
- Complete the after-arrival checklist
- Learn about life in Canada