Co-op work permit

If you are required to work as an integral part of your studies or you are enrolled in a co-op program, you may be permitted to work off campus full time. You will need a co-op work permit.

About co-op work permits

What is it?

The co-op work permit allows international students to work when the work is for credit and is a required part of your Canadian academic program. A co-op work permit allows students to work full-time during regular school terms. A co-op work permit is different from an off-campus work permit, and you may hold both if you meet the criteria for each.

Why do I need it?

If you are enrolled in a co-op program, you are required to have a co-op work permit before you start your work term. Your co-op work permit will list the employer as “UBC” and will allow you to work for any authorized co-op work term. This work permit only allows you to do the job approved by your co-op program within your co-op work term.

When do I need it?

You may start your application for a co-op work permit as soon as you receive the letter from your coordinator confirming your acceptance into the co-op program at UBC.

Co-op permits and off-campus work

co-op work permit is different from an off-campus work. You may simultaneously hold a co-op work permit and work off-campus if you meet the criteria for each..

 How to apply for a co-op work permit

Last reviewed shim11/30/2016 10:03:32 AM