Health and Wellness

Printer-friendlyStudent Services /  > Health and Wellness > Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ banner

Depending on the care you need, call 911; or the BC 24 hour nurses line at 811; or Campus Security at 250 807 8111; or the Provincial Suicide 24 hour Help Line at 1 800 784 2433; or People In Need Crisis Line at 1 888 353 2273.

Please phone Health and Wellness ahead of time for an appointment at 250 807 9270. This will help you to avoid a longer wait time. If you need to just drop in, we will accommodate you as best we can.

There are no extra fees to use Health and Wellness Services. Most services are covered by your provincial health insurance. Here are the pertinent details:

Here are pertinent details:
  • In order to see a physician, you must bring your Care Card or Personal Health Number on your first visit. This may be from BC or from your home province. International students should be enrolled in IMED until they are eligible to enrol in the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP). Students with other insurance are required to pay cash for services and will be given a receipt to apply for reimbursement from their insurance provider.
  • Students who do not have health insurance will be charged for medical services. A few services (e.g., third-party requests) are not covered by health insurance and are billed directly to the student. Additionally, if you fail to attend or cancel an appointment without appropriate advanced notice, there may also be charges. Please see this Fee Schedule for a summary of this information.

Our services are completely confidential. Information cannot be shared with anyone, including your family, faculty, other student services, and other doctors’ offices or agencies without your consent. Health and Wellness must follow BC law and sometimes this means breaking medical confidentiality. This happens only in rare situations. We will let you know when we have to share specific details about your health with others without your consent as follows:

  • If a child (18 years and under) is in need of protection from harm, the Ministry of Children and Family Development need to be informed
  • If a person’s ability to drive may be reduced, the motor vehicle branch may need to be informed
  • If someone’s life or safety may be at risk, the police may need to be informed
  • If a judge or other legal authority provides a court order requesting information.

Some of the resources available to you at no charge include:

  • Free nicotine patch or gum to help you quit smoking
  • Sexual health supplies (condoms)
  • Bandaids and dressing supplies
  • Tensors for ankle and wrist sprains
  • Ice packs for strains and sprains, swelling
  • Immunizations – Tetanus, Cervarix, Flu (must meet criteria)
  • Pamphlet information and resources
  • Crutch Loan SADD Lamp (on site use only)

Sports Medicine Physician, Physiotherapist, Clinical Counsellor, Nutritionist, Massage Therapist, and more. Some of these providers may require a physician referral. For inquiries, please contact Health and Wellness by phone or in person.

Please download and view this handout for an overview of medications for treatment of depression and anxiety symptoms.

Last reviewed shim8/10/2017 11:41:00 AM